This section is home to some of the earlier research projects conducted by the Centre or involving Centre staff and researchers.
Well-being and disparity in Tamaki-Makaurau
What factors contribute to cultural, social, economic and political well-being amongst Māori in larger urban areas, and how are these interrelated? Read more
Marine resources in Tai Tokerau
This publication brings together seven years' work in to describe the marine resources in Tai Tokerau. It was published as a main technical report with six non-technical reports covering specific areas. Read more
Sustainable Māori tourism
These reports and publications arising from the Centre’s research on sustainable Māori tourism were available through the Centre or being prepared for distribution at the end of 2003. Read more
A Study of the New Zealand Farmed Oyster Industry and the Potential for Sustainable Māori Economic Development - Part 1: Industry Analysis.
Brenda Hay and Associate Professor Val Lindsay. This report provides an introductory information resource to help Māori in the oyster industry prepare strategic business plans. Read more
Past Henare Centre researchers
Past researchers have included:
- Professor Sir Hugh Kawharu: Social anthropologist, former Head of the Department of MāoriStudies, The University of Auckland, and foundation Director of the Centre.
- Associate Professor Dorothy Urlich Cloher: Geographer, former Deputy Director then Director of the Centre.
- Professor Dame Anne Salmond: Social anthropologist, currently at the Department of MāoriStudies, The University of Auckland.
- Professor Dame Joan Metge: Social anthropologist, consultant.
- Associate-Professor Richard Benton: Linguist, former Director of the Centre
- Dr Jane McRae: Linguist and Māori language specialist, Honorary Research Fellow, Department of MāoriStudies, The University of Auckland, consultant.
- Professor Margaret Mutu: Linguist, former Head of the Department of Māori Studies, The University of Auckland.
- Professor Karen Nero: Social anthropologist, formerly of the Department of Anthropology, The University of Auckland. Currently Director of the McMillan Brown Centre for Pacific Studies.
- Professor Pip Forer: Geographer, The University of Auckland.
- Professor Cluny McPherson, Sociologist, formerly Department of Sociology, The University of Auckland. Currently Massey University, Albany.
- Dr Margie Hohepa, Educationalist, The University of Auckland.
- Dr Merata Kawharu, formerly Research Fellow, James Henare Māori Research Centre. Currently Director (Research) at the Centre.
Ngā tuhinga a Benton | Knowledge returned
We are indebted to Dr Richard Benton and his colleagues who harvested and held safe the content from the Centre's earlier website when it went into recess in 2003. Without their actions, we risked losing a part of our history and a record of the work of the Centre. Dr Benton's generosity in offering us the fruits of his harvest cannot be understated and we owe him a debt of gratitude.
We thank Professor Benton and his colleagues for their safekeeping of our history and for its return to the Centre in 2011. Find out more
Faculties, institutes, campuses and library
- Faculty of Arts
- Business School
- National Institute of Creative Arts and Industries
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Liggins Institute
- Auckland Bioengineering Institute
- Libraries and Learning Services
- More information...