English language support
If you are learning English as a new language, or would like help to improve your understanding of written and spoken English, there are various support services available.
- DELNA helps to identify your level of English listening, reading and writing skills.
- It guides you to the most appropriate English language support based on your strengths and weaknesses.
- It is not a selection tool and is not used to exclude you from a particular programme or course.
- There is no cost and the results do not appear on your academic record.
At ELE, you can:
- Use English language resources (DVDs, CDs, digital recordings, magazines, newspapers and books).
- Get advice about your English (whatever your subject area).
- Participate in language learning groups.
- Use our computer lab in any way that supports your English language development.
Student Learning Services provides workshops to help you develop your academic and research skills. Some of these are specifically tailored to assist with English language skills. You can browse the workshops to find specific writing workshops.
Kate Edger Information Commons building
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 88850
Open: Monday to Friday 9am–5pm
If English is not your first language, the Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics can help you.
Courses are structured in two stages. If you demonstrate a high level of proficiency, you may be able to enrol directly into the Stage Two courses.
Stage One courses include:
- Academic writing
- Academic listening and reading
- Forms in Academic English
Stage Two courses include:
- Advanced academic spoken English
- Advanced academic written English
Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics
Level 4, Arts 1 Building
14a Symonds Street
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86252
Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics website