Tips for success
Here are some tips that will help you to study successfully.
- Manage your time carefully.
- Prioritise your coursework.
- Don’t over-commit yourself to part-time work.
- Complete your DELNA screening as early as possible.
- Keep in regular contact with an academic adviser from your faculty student centre.
- Choose your courses carefully.
- Organise an effective study space at home and find several study spaces on campus.
- Attend all your classes.
- Get to class on time.
- Be prepared for class.
- Introduce yourself to others in your classes and arrange study groups.
- Be ready to participate and ask questions.
- Take good notes in class.
- Listen actively and write down anything you don’t understand.
- Re-read your notes within 24 hours of the lecture.
- Master the material as you go.
- Create a plan in case of illness.
- Ask for help as soon as you need it.
- Make the most of your teacher’s time.
- Be pro-active in accessing the academic support facilities available to you.
- Learn how to find resources in the Library.
- Learn how to read quickly and actively.
- Understand what the University defines as cheating and how to avoid it.
- Make sure you understand what kind of help is acceptable when completing your assignments or helping others.
- Find out what style of referencing is used for each of your courses.
- Learn how to reference properly and allow adequate time to complete your references for an assignment.
- Complete your assignments on time.
- Check your EC Mail regularly.
- Get involved in some non-academic activities on campus.
- Keep fit and healthy.
- Stay open-minded and accepting of other peoples’ opinions.
- Help other students and stay safe on campus.
AskAuckland has answers to questions about University — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can search for the answer to your question, or browse the most common questions.