Postgraduate research funding
You can seek funding for your research projects through a variety of avenues besides the PReSS account. These include external sources as well as the University.
Speak to your postgraduate adviser or research supervisor about opportunities for University-sponsored research funding.
Externally-sponsored research is managed according to the type of funding agency.
- Commercial research is administered by UniServices Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the University.
- Public domain research is administered by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), supported by the Research Committee and the Research Office.
Research is deemed commercial if it is funded by a sponsor who is the end user of the results, and who expects sole access to the results for a defined period of time.
External sponsors of commercial research include:
- Government departments
- Crown Research Institutes
For information on commercial research contracts, contact Auckland UniServices Ltd:
Public domain research
All other research is considered to be in the public domain, and is defined as such.
External sponsors of public domain research include:
- The Ministry of Research, Science and Technology.
- Most foundations, trusts, and charities.
To find out more about how to apply for research contracts from these sponsors, and to get copies of application forms, contact the Research Office.
We advertise current funding rounds for our core funding sources in Next Week in Focus.
You can download coversheets for research funding applications:
- Alcohol Advisory Council of New Zealand (ALAC)
- Auckland Medical Research Foundation
- Cancer Society
- Cancer Society - Auckland Division
- Child Health Research Foundation - Cot Death (CureKids)
- Foundation for Research, Science & Technology (FRST)
- Health Research Council
- Heart Foundation
- Lottery Grants
- Neurological Foundation
- The Law Foundation
- The Maurice and Phyllis Paykel Trust
- The Royal Society of New Zealand
Faculties, institutes, campuses and library
- Faculty of Arts
- Business School
- National Institute of Creative Arts and Industries
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Liggins Institute
- Auckland Bioengineering Institute
- Libraries and Learning Services
- More information...