No international fees for PhD students: NZ$6,013 per annum (US$4944* per annum)
The University of Auckland offers a wide range of student benefits as well as an extremely affordable tuition fee for its international PhD students. Since 2006, new international PhD students pay the same annual tuition fee as a New Zealand PhD student due to the New Zealand Government scheme. The 2013 fee is NZ$6,013 per annum or US$4,944* per annum.
*Exchange rate as at Nov 2012: NZ$1.00 = US$0.82
A new international PhD student is defined as a foreign student enrolled for the first time after 19 April 2005 in a Doctor of Philosophy programme. To be eligible, students must reside in New Zealand for the duration of their doctoral programme. However, students may undertake research activities overseas during their doctoral programme for a cumulative total of no more than 12 months.
Other benefits related to the local fees policy for international PhD students are:
- Dependent children of international PhD students receive the same schooling benefits (or educational benefits) as New Zealand permanent residents until their final year of high school. They pay no tuition fees except for a small yearly donation
- Upon graduation, international students are eligible for a twelve-month open work permit
- The spouse/partner of an international PhD student is eligible for an open work permit valid for the duration of the spouse's/partner's course of study
- International PhD students are eligible to work part time for 20 hours per week for the duration of the course of study
For changes and updates of the above benefits please visit Immigration New Zealand
Faculties, institutes, campuses and library
- Faculty of Arts
- Business School
- National Institute of Creative Arts and Industries
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Liggins Institute
- Auckland Bioengineering Institute
- Libraries and Learning Services
- More information...