Tuition fees 2012 for postgraduate students (international)
The University of Auckland offers a wide range of student benefits as well as an extremely affordable tuition fee for its international PhD students. Since 2006, new international PhD students pay the same annual tuition fee as a New Zealand PhD student due to the New Zealand Government scheme. The 2012 PhD fees are NZ$5,782 per annum or US$4,726* per annum.
*Exchange rate as at January 2012: NZ$1.00 = US$0.81A new international PhD student is defined as a foreign student enrolled for the first time after 19 April 2005 in a Doctor of Philosophy programme. To be eligible, students must reside in New Zealand for the duration of their doctoral programme. However, students may undertake research activities overseas during their doctoral programme for a cumulative total of no more than 12 months.
- Dependent children of international PhD students receive the same schooling benefits (or educational benefits) as New Zealand permanent residents until their final year of high school. They pay no tuition fees except for a small yearly donation.
- Upon graduation, international students are eligible for a twelve-month open work permit.
- The spouse/partner of an international PhD student is eligible for an open work permit valid for the duration of the spouse's/partner's course of study.
- International PhD students are eligible to work part time for 20 hours per week for the duration of the course of study.
For changes and updates of the above benefits please visit Immigration New Zealand.
Below are fees for other international doctoral programmes. International students should read the note about the international PhD local fees policy.
|Doctoral Programme - International student||2012 Tuition fees (annual tuition fee for a 12-month period)|
|Doctor of Clinical Psychology||$32,160.00|
|Doctor of Education||$32,160.00|
|Doctor of Fine Arts||$32,160.00|
|Doctor of Medicine||$32,160.00|
|Doctor of Music||$32,160.00|
|Doctor of Musical Arts||$32,160.00|
|Doctor of Pharmacy||$35,280.00|
|Doctor of Philosophy||$5,782.00|
|Postgraduate-level courses per subject area||2012 tuition fee per point in NZ$||2012 annual tuition fee based on 120 points in NZ$*||Duration|
Minimum one year duration. Please refer to The University Calendar for the duration of your specific programme.
N.B. the total programme cost is based on the total points of the programme.
|Arts (science and performance-based courses)||268.00||32,160|
|Business & Economics||228.00||27,360|
|Business & Economics (Information Systems)||228.00||27,360|
|Education (Excluding GradDipTchg***)||228.00||27,360|
|Interfaculty||Per point fee will be charged at the respective rate for the subject.**|
|Medical and Health Science||294.00||35,280|
|Theology (course based)||228.00||27,360|
*The total programme cost is based on the total points of the programme.
**Interfaculty Degrees and Diplomas: Master of Bioscience Enterprise, Master of Educational Management, Master of Engineering Management, Master of Health Management, Master of Operations Research, Master of Professional Studies, Master of Science in Health Psychology, Postgraduate Diploma in Bioscience Enterprise, Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management, Postgraduate Diploma in Operations Research, and Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice.
*** Graduate Diploma in Teaching - Early Childhood, Primary, Secondary $21,000 based on 120 points. Note GradDipTchg (ECE) is a 150 point programme, GradDipTchg (Primary) is a 160 point programme.
Please note: some courses are charged at another faculty rate based on the programme chosen.
Other fees for all courses
In addition to these tuition fees, students undertaking a full-time load of 120 points will have to pay Student Services Fees. In 2012, students undertaking a full-time load of 120 points pay $688.80 in student services fees.
1. The fees listed in this schedule are per point and include the Course and Materials Fee. The programme fees listed in this schedule are based on an enrolment in a standard full-time course load of 120 points per year. Fees will be adjusted on a pro-rata basis where the enrolment is for more or less than a standard full-time load.
2. The total programme cost is based on the total point of the programme.
3. Fees for inter-faculty programmes, programmes combining undergraduate and postgraduates courses or courses selected from more than one listed programme are calculated by deriving a fee for each course from the programme fees listed in the schedule above.
4. The student services fees are payable by international students at the same rates applying to all students.
6. New international PhD students will be accorded domestic status for the purposes of tuition fees.
7. BA(Hons), BCom(Hons), BHB(Hons), LLB(Hons), BMus(Hons), BNurs(Hons), BProp(Hons) and BSc(Hons) are postgraduate programmes.
The University of Auckland welcomes enquiries and applications from international students who wish to enrol in a PhD programme on the basis of this policy. Applicants should indicate clearly that they are international students applying to be admitted under the local fees policy.
Please direct enquiries to:
The Graduate Centre,
22 Princes Street
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86899