Before you apply
Before applying there are a number of things to consider:
Both programmes involve studying away from your home institution for one or two semesters, but there are important differences between the two programmes. You can find out about the differences and which one you should apply for at Study Abroad and Exchange programmes.
Before undertaking the Study Abroad or Exchange programme at The University of Auckland you must
- have completed at least one full-time year at university
- have a better-than-average academic record, particularly in your major subject and in your most recent academic year of study.
English language requirements
The University of Auckland requires all students whose first language is not English to demonstrate their proficiency in the English language.
To demonstrate English language proficiency, The University of Auckland accepts both IELTS and TOEFL. The minimum required scores are:
- IELTS: overall band score of 6.0 in the Academic Module, with no band less than 5.5 in IELTS, or
- Internet-based TOEFL score of 80 with a writing score of at least 21, or
- Paper-based TOEFL score of 550 with a TWE of at least 4.5.
Higher scores may be required for some programmes, including postgraduate study.
Where English is the medium of instruction at a student's home university, this may be accepted as evidence of adequate English language proficiency.
For more information, see English language requirements.
If you require assistance with the Study Abroad application process, you can use the services of one of the University's official overseas representatives.
For more information please see Official overseas representatives.
The academic year
There are two intakes per year for the Study Abroad and Exchange programmes.
- Semester One: late February to late June
- Semester Two: mid July to mid November
You can apply to study for one or two semesters, beginning in either Semester One or Semester Two.
Summer School (January - February) may be available for the Study Abroad programme.
For more information about semester dates, see Academic dates.
- Semester One 2014: Monday 24 to Friday 28 February 2014
- Semester Two 2014: Date to be confirmed
Application due dates
|Semester||Exchange deadline||Study Abroad deadline|
|Summer School||N/A||1 November of the previous year|
|Semester One||1 December of the previous year||1 December of the previous year|
|Semester Two||1 April||31 May|
Applications can take up to six weeks to process.
These deadlines allow us to process your application so you have sufficient time (up to six weeks) for the processing of your student visa, which you must obtain before entering New Zealand.