Asian Development Bank Japan Scholarship Programme
What is the Asian Development Bank - Japan Scholarship Programme?
The Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Programme (ADB-JSP) was established in April 1988 with financing from the Government of Japan.
It aims to provide an opportunity for well-qualified citizens of the ADB's developing member countries to undertake postgraduate studies in economics, management, science and technology, and other development-related fields at participating academic institutions in the Asian and Pacific Region.
Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to contribute to the economic and social development of their home countries.
The programmes covered by this scholarship scheme are limited to the following:
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Science (Environmental Science)
- Master of Arts (Development Studies)
- Master of International Business
- Master of Commerce (International Business)
- Master and Doctoral programmes in Engineering
What does the ADB-JSP cover?
The ADB-JSP provides for the scholar's:
- Tuition fees at The University of Auckland.
- Airfare from the scholar's home country to Auckland, New Zealand.
- Basic cost of living in Auckland.
- Health and medical insurance in New Zealand.
- Airfare from Auckland, New Zealand, to the scholar's home country at the conclusion of his or her course of study.
- For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for thesis preparation.
Note: The ADB - JSP does not cover the scholar's dependants.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- A national of an ADB borrowing member (applicants from countries that are no longer borrowing from ADB are not eligible for the ADB-JSP).
- Gained admission to an approved MA/PhD course at an approved academic institution.
- A bachelor's degree or its equivalent with superior academic record.
- At least two years of full-time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application. Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
- Not more than 35 years old at the time of application. In exceptional cases, for programs which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years old.
- In good health.
- Should agree to return to their home country after completion of studies under the program.
- Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Staff of academic institutions are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- ADB-JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
For more information please see: ADB Frequently asked questions
Please apply for admission online as an international student.
You will need to submit the following documents in support of your application:
- ADB-JSP Information sheet
- Verified copy of your passport or birth certificate
- Academic transcript and completion certificate
- IELTS/TOEFL results
- A passport-size photo
Wait for up to four weeks for your University of Auckland Application for Admission to be processed. If you are successful with postgraduate admission entry and receive an official Firm Offer into The University of Auckland, you may proceed to step 4. If you are unsuccessful or receive a conditional offer only, you may not proceed to step 4, or not until you have fulfilled the condition/s.
Complete the Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship application form and send in with all required documents to:
The University of Auckland
Applications & Admissions
Private Bag 92019
A selection process will take place after the application closing date and all applicants who have submitted complete applications will be notified of the outcome by the end of November 2013.
Scholarship applications for 2013 are now closed. Applications for 2014 close on 20th July 2013.
For more information around the Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship application to The University of Auckland please contact us on:
Applications and Admissions
Phone: +64 9 373 7513
Fax: +64 9 373 7405
For more information on The Asian Development Bank- Japan Scholarship program please see The Asian Development Bank:
Asian Development Bank
PO Box 789
Visit the ADB Headquarters:
6 ADB Avenue
Mandaluyong City 1550
Pone: +63 2 632 4444
Fax: +63 2 636 2444