Tuition fees 2013 for postgraduate students (international)
The University of Auckland offers a wide range of student benefits as well as an extremely affordable tuition fee for its international PhD students. Since 2006, new international PhD students pay the same annual tuition fee as a New Zealand PhD student due to the New Zealand Government scheme. The 2013 PhD fees are NZ$6,013 per annum or US$4,944* per annum.
*Exchange rate as at November 2012: NZ$1.00 = US$0.82. A new international PhD student is defined as a foreign student enrolled for the first time after 19 April 2005 in a Doctor of Philosophy programme. To be eligible, students must reside in New Zealand for the duration of their doctoral programme. However, students may undertake research activities overseas during their doctoral programme for a cumulative total of no more than 12 months.
In addition, you are required to pay a student services fee. This is calculated on a per point basis. The student services fee for 2013 is $5.95 per point (GST inclusive).
International students need to have health and travel insurance. See Health and Travel Insurance.
Other benefits related to the local fees policy for international PhD students are:
- Dependent children of international PhD students receive the same schooling benefits (or educational benefits) as New Zealand permanent residents until their final year of high school. They pay no tuition fees except for a small yearly donation
- Upon graduation, international students are eligible for a twelve-month open work permit
- The spouse/partner of an international PhD student is eligible for an open work permit valid for the duration of the spouse's/partner's course of study
- International PhD students are eligible to work part time for 20 hours per week for the duration of the course of study
For changes and updates of the above benefits please visit Immigration New Zealand
Below are fees for other international doctoral programmes. International students should read the note about the international PhD local fees policy.
|Doctoral Programme - International student||2013 Tuition fees (annual tuition fee for a 12-month period)|
|Doctor of Clinical Psychology||$33,720.00|
|Doctor of Education||$33,720.00|
|Doctor of Fine Arts||$33,720.00|
|Doctor of Medicine||$33,720.00|
|Doctor of Music||$33,720.00|
|Doctor of Musical Arts||$33,720.00|
|Doctor of Pharmacy||$33,720.00|
|Doctor of Philosophy||$6,013.00|
The University of Auckland charges tuition fees on the basis of your course enrolment rather than by programme.
The table below lists the estimated tuition fees for postgraduate programmes for international students for 2013. In addition, you are required to pay a student services fee. This is calculated on a per point basis. The student services fee for 2013 is $5.95 per point (GST inclusive).
The per-year tuition fees set out below are indicative only and are based on a standard full-time study load of 120 points per year, assuming that all your points are taken within the faculty that teaches this degree.
|Postgraduate-level courses per subject area||2013 tuition fee per point in NZ$||2013 annual tuition fee based on 120 points in NZ$*||Duration|
Minimum one year duration. Please refer to The University Calendar for the duration of your specific programme.
Note the total programme cost is based on the total points of the programme.
|Arts (science and performance-based courses)||281||33,720|
|Business & Economics||239||28,680|
|Business & Economics (Information Systems)||239||28,680|
|Business & Economics (professional coursework programmes**)||281||33,720|
|Education (Excluding GradDipTchg***)||239||28,680|
|Interfaculty****||Per point fee will be charged at the respective rate for the subject.***|
|Medical and Health Science||309||37,080|
|Theology (course based)||239||28,680|
|Urban Design and Urban Planning||281||33,720|
* The total programme cost is based on the total points of the programme.
** Master of Management is a 180 point programme to be completed in 15 months, Master of International Business and Master of Professional Accounting are 240 point programme each and are to be completed in 18 months. Note fees for these programmes are inclusive of the Student Services Fee. For more information on the full tuition fees for each of the professional masters programmes, please visit the Graduate School of Management’s tuition fees page.
*** Graduate Diploma in Teaching - Early Childhood, Primary, Secondary $22,080 based on 120 points. Note GradDipTchg (ECE) is a 150 point programme, GradDipTchg (Primary) is a 160 point programme.
**** Interfaculty Degrees and Diplomas: Master of Bioscience Enterprise, Master of Educational Management, Master of Engineering Management, Master of Health Management, Master of Operations Research, Master of Professional Studies, Master of Science in Health Psychology, Postgraduate Diploma in Bioscience Enterprise, Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management, Postgraduate Diploma in Operations Research, and Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice.
Please note: some courses are charged at another faculty rate based on the programme chosen.
Other fees for all courses
In addition to these tuition fees, students undertaking a full-time load of 120 points are required to pay a student services fee except for professional masters programmes offered by the Graduate School of Management. The student services fee for 2013 is $5.95 per point (GST inclusive).
- The fees listed in this schedule are per point and include the Course and Materials Fee. The programme fees listed in this schedule are based on an enrolment in a standard full-time course load of 120 points per year. Fees will be adjusted on a pro-rata basis where the enrolment is for more or less than a standard full-time load.
- The total programme cost is based on the total point of the programme.
- Fees for inter-faculty programmes, programmes combining undergraduate and postgraduates courses or courses selected from more than one listed programme are calculated by deriving a fee for each course from the programme fees listed in the schedule above.
- The building levy and student service fee are payable by international students at the same rates applying to all students.
- New international PhD students will be accorded domestic status for the purposes of tuition fees.
- BA(Hons), BCom(Hons), BHB(Hons), LLB(Hons), BMus(Hons), BNurs(Hons), BProp(Hons) and BSc(Hons) are postgraduate programmes.