Making the Most of Parental Leave
Understanding parental leave and how to make it work best for you and your family
Glennys Morris and Maureen Dearing from HR gave a comprehensive overview of the key issues in applying for and taking parental leave. Their slides can be found below. This was followed by Jane Kostanich TEU Organiser, who spoke about how the union support staff taking parental leave and then Prue Toft briefly outlined the range of wider support and resources available for staff combining parenting and a career.
Some essential points were:
• Become familiar with all requirements and complete all relevant forms
• University information can be found at Parental Leave information and in the Parental Leave Guide
• Government Parental Leave information provides details on government leave
• Consider how you want to combine university leave, government leave, extended leave, annual leave and partners leave
• Speak with your manager, HR Manager/Advisor and grant providers as soon as possible to discuss dates, keeping in touch days, options of returning to work part-time and any other issues or concerns.
Combining Parenting and a Career Toolkit
The Combining Parenting and a Career Toolkit can be found here
Future Parents Network
Following the above seminar, a group of future parents expressed an interest in forming a contact group so that they could share notes, discuss meeting up, ask questions, etc. The aim is to start off informally through a Google Group/email list.
Who might be interested: Any member of the University considering/planning/expecting/has had kids; including partners, permanent staff, contract staff, graduate students, etc. (kids are kids, regardless of job!)
To join: Email Nick Matzke who will send you an invite.