Who to talk to if you're a student

These people can provide support if you are a student experiencing family violence and would like to explore your options. You are welcome to bring a support person. Confidentiality and privacy will be respected.

Information and general support


  • Faculty student advisers
  • PVC Māori or PVC Pacific
  • Faculty student advisers
  • International student advisers
  • Tuākana mentors
  • Resident advisers
  • AUSA Welfare Officers and Advocates
  • Campus Care Te Papa Manaki
Access to University support
  • Compassionate consideration
  • Campus personal safety planning
  • University Health and Counselling
  • The Proctor
  • Student Equity Manager
  • Residential Manager

Expert organisations

  • Personal safety planning
  • Places of refuge
  • Counselling
  • Advocacy and legal advice
  • Shine
  • HELP
  • Tu Wahine
  • Women's Refuge
  • Shakti


Where there is a real or imminent threat, call the police on 111.

Other emergency contacts:

AUCKLAND SEXUAL ABUSE HELP (Central, North and West Auckland) 09 623 1700

SAFE TO TALK 0800 044 334

COUNSELLING SERVICES CENTRE (South Auckland) 09 277 9324.

For emergency health and counselling needs

If you’ve recently experienced assault, sexual assault or harassment, or witnessed a traumatic event, you can contact the University Health and Counselling Service.

UHCS can provide brief solution-focused support, rather than long-term counselling, but they can help you arrange further support if necessary.

On-the-day appointments

For urgent counselling during normal operating hours, you can make an on-the-day appointment.

The following criteria apply for urgent counselling (advise reception):

  • Concern about possibility of suicide or serious harm to self or someone else.
  • Recent rape or assault or harassment.
  • Witness to a traumatic event.
  • Acute deterioration of an existing mental health condition.

Make an urgent appointment:

  • Phone: 0800 698 427 - 0800 MY UHCS
  • Opening hours: 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Find out about UHCS emergency counselling.

For general information and support

There are a number of University student support staff and AUSA Welfare Officers and advocates who can provide support at the University.

Faculty-based advisers

  • Contact your:
  • Student Support Advisers
  • Student Academic Services Managers
  • Student Development and Engagement Managers

Campus Care

Staff in Campus Care can advise you about options available.


AUSA Student Advice Hub – for confidential, independent advocacy
Old Choral Hall, Alfred Street (Monday-Friday 9am-4pm)
City Campus
Phone: 09 923 7294 
Email: cityhub@ausa.org.nz

Other AUSA contacts for support:

  • Women’s Rights Officers (wro@ausa.org.nz)
  • Queer Rights Officer (qro@ausa.org.nz)
  • Welfare Vice-President (wvp@ausa.org.nz)

University accommodation

Contact your residential adviser.

LGBTQITakatāpui+ students

Contact student equity manager Carley Fletcher

Email: c.fletcher@auckland.ac.nz 

Transgender students

A support network, social group and advocacy group for gender diverse students and staff.
Email: transoncampus@auckland.ac.nz.

Māori Students
Deputy PVC Māori
Email: m.steedman@auckland.ac.nz

Tuākana faculty mentors.

Pacific Students
PVC Pacific
Email: d.salesa@auckland.ac.nz

International students

International student support team
Room G23, Old Choral Hall, 7 Symonds Street
Phone: +64 9 923 7299
Email: int-questions@auckland.ac.nz.

To access to formal University support

These contact people will be able to help you develop a campus personal safety plan or access compassionate consideration for attendance, exams or course requirements.

University Health and Counselling Service

University Health and Counselling Service offers health, medical and counselling services for students. The short-term counselling service is free to domestic students.
Phone: +64 9 923 7681
Web: Student Health and Counselling Service.

The Proctor

The Proctor is the University’s primary reference point for all matters relating to student conduct, including complaints against students, or disputes between students. The Proctor can provide advice about what support is available and who to contact for specific needs.

Phone: +64 9 923 7005
Mobile: 021 839 3832
Email: proctor@auckland.ac.nz
Web: University Proctor

Te Papa Manaki Campus Care

A safe, confidential and free service that supports the health, wellbeing and safety of everyone at University. See Te Papa Manaaki Campus Care.

Resident Manager

Contact the Residential Manager in your University accommodation.

Academic staff member

Your tutor or lecturer can assist in providing compassionate consideration and appropriate referral.

Expert organisations

To contact an external organisation that can provide advice, support, emergency housing, personal safety planning or advocacy, see Expert organisations that can help.


Shine's aim is to make homes violence free: call free 0508 744 633 (9am to 11pm, 7 days a week)  For more contacts and information, see Shine.

University security

Report any suspicious behaviour immediately, no matter how minor it may appear to University Security.

City campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85000 or 0800 373 7550
Tāmaki Innovation Campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85225
Grafton campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86081
Epsom campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 44835

Where there is a real or imminent threat, call the police on 111.

Legal help

Find out more about your legal options.