When you come across behaviour that's suspicious, threatening or unauthorised, take the following action.
Suspicious or criminal activity
- Alert Security on 966 (0800 373 7550 from a mobile phone) and state “suspicious activity”, giving them your exact location. Do not hang up until they say they have all the information they need.
- Alert other staff and students in the area.
- Observe the situation and take photos or video if safe to do so.
- Report to Security staff when they arrive on the scene.
- If you feel threatened, move away from the scene and call the police on 111.
Encountering unauthorised media
- Do not give information or engage in conversation.
- Advise the University's Media and Communications Manager that media persons are on site. If you are a student or visitor, find a staff member who can do this.
- If necessary, alert Security on 966 (0800 373 7550 from a mobile phone) and state “unauthorised media”, giving them your exact location. Do not hang up until they say they have all the information they need.
Receiving threatening phone calls
These calls can be:
- Specific, where information will be given about the nature of the threat (e.g. explosive device, toxic release, gun), as well as the location, time, etc.
- Non-specific, where no information is given, other than the nature of the threat.
Remain calm and ask questions
Be calm and treat all threats as genuine. Wherever possible, ask questions and note answers. Get as much information as possible.
- What is it? Device, toxin release, gun or bomb threat
- Where is it/will it happen?
- What time will it occur?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of device/hazard is it?
- What will trigger the device/hazard?
- Why did you create the device/hazard?
Write down as many details as you can about the person informing you about the device/hazard:
- Any background noise that you can identify
Then contact Security immediately on 966 (0800 373 7550 from a mobile phone).