Technology graduate programme
Applications will open later in the year for our 2024 Graduate Programme. Find out about what the 2023 intake looked like below.
Launch your career at New Zealand’s largest university
- 12 month Graduate Programme with a permanent role
- Competitive starting salary with an increase at the end of the programme
- Technical and non-technical career pathways
Applications open later this year for 2024.
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunity
The University of Auckland has one of the largest technology estates in New Zealand. Our scale and complexity offers graduates a chance to access skills, approaches, challenges, technologies and career pathways they simply wouldn’t get elsewhere.
We look for graduates to join various different technical and non-technical areas, including Development, Testing, UX/UI and more. Different streams are available each year and will be confirmed when applications open for 2024.
Find out more about previously available Graduate and Intern Programme Streams.
As a Graduate, you will gain hands on experience, virtually from day one (after your induction, of course), growing your technical skills as well as those all-important soft skills, like communication, relationship building, workload management and more.
We also have a summer Intern Programme for penultimate year students. If you are in your penultimate year, please only apply for the Intern Programme.
This is a 12-month programme that starts with an in-depth introduction to the length and breadth of the Digital Services department, from end-user support to infrastructure technologies, to cybersecurity. This will give you a good understanding of the different teams and how they all collaborate and interconnect to offer a cutting edge technology service to students, staff and visitors. From there Graduates will begin their on-the-job development, getting hands on experience early on and real responsibility, supported by experienced colleagues and experts in their fields. Each Graduate will also have a Mentor who will guide them throughout the programme.
The programme is also bolstered by regular sessions to support development and learning, including:
- team hack mornings
- training days with different colleagues
- career development workshops and coaching
- skills training sessions
- general professional development sessions
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou | What we offer
This programme offers:
- A competitive salary that increases when you complete the programme
- A supportive, yet flexible programme to develop technical, soft and employability skills that will serve you throughout your career
- The opportunity to work alongside and learn from forward-thinking leaders and professionals with a wealth of experience and expertise to share
- A 12-month graduate programme, with a permanent position at the end
In addition, the University of Auckland is committed to providing an excellent working environment through:
- Flexible employment practices and a culture that supports work-life balance
- Career development programmes
- A competitive salary with five weeks’ annual leave
We also offer a 6.75% superannuation scheme, discounted car parking, a generous parental leave allowance, discounted onsite childcare and a number of other discounts on internal and external services.
For more information please visit our Staff Benefits page.
He kōrero mōu | About you
- You’ll have graduated in the last 2 years or be about to graduate with a bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a discipline relevant to the area you wish to go into. Your most recent degree/qualification must be from the University of Auckland, and you must have finished your studies by the time the programme starts in March 2023.
- You will have built a good foundation of skills relevant to the area you wish to go into, either through your studies, work experience, hobbies, volunteering, participating in hackathons and competitions or personal projects.
- You’ll be confident taking the initiative and working collaboratively as part of a team. You’ll be handed real responsibility and expected to get stuck in – but support will be there for you when you need it.
- You’ll be a strong communicator, with excellent interpersonal skills that make you a customer service star.
- You’ll have a hunger to learn, and to get involved in meaningful projects that will drive forward your personal development.
Mō tō mātou rōpū | About the team
The University of Auckland's Digital Services team is committed to delivering world-class service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research, and administration. It plays a key role in ensuring the core IT infrastructure and systems are reliable and secure with a focus on providing quality and effective IT services that enhance the reputation of the University through innovation and collaboration. There is an open and engaging culture and it is an exciting time with some key digital transformations taking place.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to apply
Applications will open later in the year for the 2024 programme, but you can register your interest below and we will let you know when applications are about to open, and keep you updated on our on-campus events and application workshops.
Please note that this programme is only open to University of Auckland graduates.