Digital Services Internship
Applications are closed for the 2021 summer intake. Read about the programme below and check back mid 2022 for the intake for 2022.
Start your career right here!
- 10 week internship over summer (with Christmas and New Years Off!)
- Launch your career in New Zealand’s largest university
- Competitive salary with a potential pathway on to the graduate programme
- Technical and non-technical career pathways
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunity
Our intern programme offers final or penultimate year University of Auckland students a chance to discover a career in technology.
The University of Auckland has one of the largest technology estates in New Zealand. Our scale and complexity offers graduates a chance to access skills, approaches, challenges, technologies and career pathways they simply wouldn’t get elsewhere.
We offer internships in the following areas:
- Software Development
- Testing & Quality Assurance
- Cyber Security
- Service Management
- Digital Experience – UX/UI
- Systems Engineering
Find out more about each stream HERE.
As an Intern, you will shadow and work alongside experienced colleagues to gain hands on experience, apply your theoretical learnings in the real world and develop those all-important soft skills such as communication and relationship building.
We also offer a Graduate Programme for final year students and recent graduates. If you are in your last year and are interested in applying for the intern programme, you can also apply for the graduate programme and if successful, you can complete the internship over summer and progress directly on to the graduate programme in March.
This is a 10 week intern programme, run over the summer, from December to February. The programme will give you an introduction to the length and breadth of the Digital Services department, from end-user support to infrastructure technologies, to cybersecurity. This will give you a good understanding of the different teams and how they all collaborate and interconnect to offer a cutting edge technology service to students, staff and visitors. Interns will be paired up with an experienced colleague who will support and guide them throughout the programme. You will get to work on real applications, problems and projects and you will be encouraged to bring your ideas forward and contribute to the team from the get go (no filing or making people coffee here!).
Mō tō mātou rōpū | About the team
Digital Services at the University of Auckland is committed to delivering world-class service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research, and administration. It plays a key role in ensuring the core IT Infrastructure and systems are reliable and secure with a focus on providing quality and effective IT Services that enhance the reputation of the University through innovation and collaboration. There is an open and engaging culture and it is an exciting time with some key digital transformations taking place.
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou | What we offer
This programme offers:
- An opportunity to gain hands on experience and kick start your career in technology
- A chance to try out a potential future career path to see if you like it and in the process, find out more about the breadth of potential careers in this industry
- A competitive salary
- A supportive programme to develop technical, soft and employability skills that will serve you throughout your career
- Work alongside and learn from forward-thinking leaders and professionals with a wealth of experience and expertise to share
In addition, the University of Auckland is committed to providing an excellent working environment through:
- Flexible employment practices and a culture that supports work-life balance
- Career development programmes
- A competitive salary with five weeks’ annual leave (pro rata for fixed term)
For more information please visit our Staff Benefits page.
He kōrero mōu | About you
- You’ll be in your final or penultimate year in a bachelor’s degree (or higher) at the University of Auckland.
- You must be available to take up the internship from December until February. The Programme will pause during the University closure period (over Christmas and new year) (Part-time could be considered, if you would like part-time hours, please say so in your covering letter).
- You will have built a basic foundation of skills relevant to the area you wish to go into, either through your studies, work experience, hobbies, volunteering, participating in hackathons and competitions or personal projects.
- You’ll be a strong communicator, with excellent interpersonal skills that make you a customer service star.
- You’ll have a hunger to learn, and to get involved in meaningful projects that will drive forward your personal development.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to apply
Applications are closed for the 2021 intake. Check back mid 2022 for the intake for 2022.
Please note that this programme is only open to University of Auckland graduates.