Applications will open later in the year for our 2023/24 Summer Internship Programme. Find out about what the 2022/23 intake looked like below.
Launch your career at New Zealand’s largest university
- 10 week internship over summer (with Christmas and New Year off!)
- Technical and non-technical career pathways
- Programme generally runs from November to February
Applications open later this year for 2023/24.
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunity
The University of Auckland has one of the largest technology estates in New Zealand. Our scale and complexity offers graduates a chance to access skills, approaches, challenges, technologies and career pathways they simply wouldn’t get elsewhere.
We look for graduates to join various different technical and non-technical areas, including Development, Testing, UX/UI and more. Different streams are available each year and will be confirmed when applications open for 2024.
Find out more about previously available Graduate and Intern Programme Streams.
As an Intern, you will shadow and work alongside experienced colleagues to gain hands on experience, apply your theoretical learnings in the real world and develop those all-important soft skills such as communication and relationship building.
We also have a Graduate Programme for final year students and recent graduates. If you are in your last year, please consider applying for the Graduate Programme instead.
This is a 10 week intern programme, run over the summer, from December to February. The programme will give you an introduction to the length and breadth of the Digital Services department, from end-user support to infrastructure technologies, to cybersecurity. This will give you a good understanding of the different teams and how they all collaborate and interconnect to offer a cutting edge technology service to students, staff and visitors.
Interns will be paired up with an experienced colleague who will support and guide them throughout the programme. You will get to work on real applications, problems and projects and you will be encouraged to bring your ideas forward and contribute to the team from the get go (no filing or making people coffee here!).
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou | What we offer
This programme offers:
- An opportunity to gain hands on experience and kick start your career in technology
- A chance to try out a potential future career path to see if you like it and in the process, find out more about the breadth of potential careers in this industry
- A competitive salary
- A supportive programme to develop technical, soft and employability skills that will serve you throughout your career
- The opportunity to work alongside and learn from forward-thinking leaders and professionals with a wealth of experience and expertise to share
In addition, the University of Auckland is committed to providing an excellent working environment through:
- Flexible employment practices and a culture that supports work-life balance
- Career development programmes
- A competitive salary with five weeks’ annual leave (pro rata for fixed term)
More information on our Staff Benefits page.
He kōrero mōu | About you
- You’ll be in your penultimate year in a bachelor’s degree (or higher) at the University of Auckland.
- You must be available to take up the internship from December 2022 until February 2023. The programme will pause during the University closure period from Friday 23 December to Monday 9 January.
- You will have built a basic foundation of skills relevant to the area you wish to go into, either through your studies, work experience, hobbies, volunteering, participating in hackathons and competitions or personal projects.
- You’ll be a strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills that make you a customer service star.
- You’ll have a hunger to learn, and to get involved in meaningful projects that will drive forward your personal development.
Mō tō mātou rōpū | About the team
The University of Auckland's Digital Services team is committed to delivering world-class service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research, and administration. It plays a key role in ensuring the core IT unfrastructure and systems are reliable and secure with a focus on providing quality and effective IT services that enhance the reputation of the University through innovation and collaboration. There is an open and engaging culture and it is an exciting time with some key digital transformations taking place.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to apply
Applications will open later in the year for the 2023/24 programme, but you can register your interest below and we will let you know when applications are about to open, and keep you updated on our on-campus events and application workshops.
Please note that this programme is only open to University of Auckland graduates.