Who to talk to if you're a student

Where there is a real or imminent threat, call the Police on 111.

You can talk to a support person. They can provide general information and support.
You can talk to a University Contact Person. They can provide access to University support such as compassionate consideration and campus personal safety planning.
You can talk to an expert organisation. They can provide personal safety planning, places of refuge, counselling, advocacy, advice on protection orders and other legal options.

These people can provide support if you are a student experiencing family violence and would like to explore your options. You are welcome to take a support person along. Confidentiality and privacy will be respected.

For emergency health and counselling needs

If you have recently experienced assault, sexual assault or harassment, or witnessed a traumatic event, the University Health and Counselling Service (UHCS) will see you immediately.

UHCS can provide brief solution-focused support rather than long term counselling, but they can help you arrange for further support if necessary.  

Support people for general information and support

There are a number of University student support staff and AUSA Welfare Officers and Advocates who can provide support and information about your options at the University.

Faculty-based Advisers

Contact your:

  • Student Support Advisers
  • Student Academic Services Managers
  • Student Development and Engagement Managers


AUSA Student Advice Hub – for confidential, independent advocacy
Old Choral Hall, Alfred Street (Monday-Friday 9am-4pm)
City Campus
Phone: 09 923 7294 
Email: cityhub@ausa.org.nz

Other AUSA support and information contacts include:

University Accommodation

Contact your Residential Assistant.

LGBTI students

Contact Director - Student Equity, Dr Terry O’Neill (t.oneill@auckland.ac.nz)

Transgender students

Trans on Campus is a support network, social group and advocacy group for gender diverse students and staff. Contact Transoncampus@auckland.ac.nz

International students

International student support team
Room G23, Old Choral Hall, 7 Symonds Street
Phone: +64 9 923 7299 or 021 074 7915
Email: int-questions@auckland.ac.nz

Contact people for access to formal University support

These contact people will be able to help you develop a campus personal safety plan or access compassionate consideration for attendance, exams or course requirements.

University Health and Counselling Service

University Health and Counselling Service offers health, medical and counselling services for students. The short-term counselling service is free to domestic students.

Phone: +64 9 923 7681

The Proctor

The Proctor is the University’s primary reference point for all matters relating to student conduct, including complaints against students, or disputes between students. The Proctor can provide advice about what support is available and who to contact for specific needs.

Jan Crosthwaite
Old Choral Hall, Room G60 (Tuesdays 10am-12pm)
Phone: +64 9 923 7005 or 027 839 3832
Email: proctor@auckland.ac.nz

Director - Student Equity

Dr Terry O'Neill
East Wing ClockTower, Room 117
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 88211
Email: t.oneill@auckland.ac.nz

Residential Manager

Contact the Residential Manager in your University accommodation.

Academic staff member

Your tutor or lecturer can assist in providing compassionate consideration and appropriate referral.

Expert organisations

To contact an external organisation that can provide advice, support, emergency housing, personal safety planning or advocacy, see Expert organisations that can help

University Security

Report any suspicious behaviour to University Security immediately, no matter how minor it may appear.

City campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85000 or 0800 373 7550
Tāmaki Innovation Campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85225
Grafton campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86081
Epsom campus: +64 9 373 7599 ext 44835

Where there is a real or imminent threat, call the Police on 111.

Legal help

Find out more about your legal options