Motor Vehicles Accidents and Insurance Policy


This policy applies to all University staff, students and other individuals using University vehicles.


To detail the University’s position regarding incidents or accidents involving a University vehicle.


1.    All University vehicles are covered by the University’s Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy which is managed by the University’s Performance and Risk Manager

Insurance cover and re-imbursement

2.    Loss or damage to personal effects is covered only if no other valid and collectable insurance is in place

3.    The staff member’s manager (at level 3 or above as per the Financial Delegations Policy) may, in consultation with the Performance and Risk Manager, reimburse the policyholder’s deductibles up to $400 per occurrence

4.    A manager (at level 3 or above as per the Financial Delegations Policy) may, in consultation with the Performance and Risk Manager, approve the expense for alternative transport up to $500 if a private vehicle (which has existing Comprehensive insurance cover) is damaged or a private vehicle (which has a minimum of third party fire and theft insurance cover) is stolen in the course of University business

5.    There is no insurance cover for students using private vehicles, for example to attend field trips.  Use of a student’s own vehicle for University field trips should be on the understanding that the student is aware that this is at their own risk

6.    Deductibles do apply for each claim and vary depending on the age of the driver.

7.    If an accident occurs while the approved driver is under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication which may impair the ability to drive safely, or not holding a valid licence for the vehicle type, or carrying unapproved or dangerous goods inappropriately, the presence of which was the sole cause, or a material contributing cause, of the accident or damage, the University’s insurance is invalid and the driver will be held personally liable

Incidents and accidents

8.    Any incident or accident involving a University vehicle must be reported as follows:

  • Immediately report to the staff member’s manager or in the case of students/visitors/honorary academics to their lecturer, reporting supervisor, host or department/school manager
  • Report within 24 hours of the event (include near miss) to the Health, Safety and Wellness Manager in Human Resources
  • Where damage has occurred, report to the Vehicle Administrator within 12 hours or the next working day (whichever is sooner) of the incident and comply with the University Accident Reporting requirements

9.    The Vehicle Administrator must notify the Fleet Manager of any incident or accident involving a University vehicle where damage has occurred

10.    The Fleet Manager will notify the insurance company if the repair quote exceeds the insurance policy excess or claim involves a liable third party

11. The driver must NOT enter into any discussion of liability for an accident

12. Where the damage involves another vehicle, the name and address of the other driver, details of their insurance company and details of the other vehicle should be obtained.  Where damage involves other property, the identity of the property owner must be established

13. No repairs should be undertaken without first contacting the Fleet Manager.  The costs of a temporary replacement vehicle are not covered by the Motor Vehicle Insurance

Private vehicles

14.    The use of private vehicles for University business is not covered by this policy

15.    Staff are responsible for any loss or damage to their private vehicle or third party property and staff utilising private vehicles for University business must have, as a minimum, private third party liability insurance

16.    Frequent and regular use of private vehicles for University business must be notified to the member of staff’s insurance provider


The following definitions apply to this document:

Deductibles mean the amount of expenses that must be paid out of pocket before an insurer will pay any expenses

Fleet manager is an external specialist organisation appointed by Financial Services to manage the University’s vehicle fleet. They are responsible for the delivery of all the University requirements as specified in the terms of their agreement

Private vehicles are non-University vehicles

University means the University of Auckland includes all subsidiaries

University vehicle (s)  include cars (primarily people-carrying, including saloons, station wagons, hatchbacks, estate vehicles), vans (primarily not people-carrying, including single and double cab), utilities, trucks, trailers, boat trailers, motorcycles, motor scooters, quad bikes, motorised boats, forklifts, mini vans, and grounds maintenance equipment (including ride on mowers, tractors, flat deck mowers, for example) that are owned or leased by the University

Vehicle administrator(s) is nominated by units as the vehicle ‘owner’, and is responsible for liaison internally with the Procurement Manager in Financial Services and externally with the University’s Fleet Manager

Key relevant documents

Include the following:

Motor Vehicle Claim Form
(543.4 kB, PDF)

Document management and control

Owner: Director of Finance

Content manager: Financial Services

Approved by: Director of Administration

Date approved: 26 May 2014

Review date: 26 May 2016