Issue 1: 25 January 2008

old_parliament_house2
The University College occupied a two-storey building known as "Old Parliament House", or to students as the "Shedifice", from 1890

First Retrospective column published in the University News January 25th, 2008.

How much was the University’s caretaker paid in 1895? Where was the only place that smoking was allowed according to the 1933 regulations for the conduct of students?

This first column is an extract from "Historical Sketch", Auckland University College Calendar, 1884, pp. 19-24.

"The Auckland University College Act, 1882" which became law on the 3rd of September in that year, definitely established the College, and endowed it with a statutory grant of ₤4,000 per annum. The Governing Body constituted by the Act is incorporated, and is styled "the Auckland University College Council." It consists of eleven members; two of whom are ex officio, viz., the Mayor of the City of Auckland, and the Chairman of the Board of Education. "The Professorial Board," which is constituted by the Act, possesses, "subject to the approval of the Council," the power of fixing the course of study, and prescribing the subjects of examination for scholarships, exhibitions and prizes; and it has "subject to a right of appeal to the Council" a general control of the discipline of the students, the management of the library and the direction of the College servants. Each Professor and Lecturer is entitled to receive, in addition to his salary, the fees that are paid by students for attendance at his Lectures.

The college was opened on the 21st May, 1883 by His Excellency the Governor, Sir William F. Drummond Jervois, F.C.M.G., who delivered on that occasion, before a large audience, in the Choral Hall, an interesting and instructive address on the subject of University Education.

The Students who attended the Lectures in 1883 were in number eighty. The Auckland College has a staff of four Professors and one Lecturer. But perhaps the most serious drawback to the progress of the Auckland University College is the want of a suitable building. It occupies, on sufferance, one old wooden building and part of another. By the permission of the Council of the Auckland Institute, the Professor of Classics, in 1883, delivered his lectures in a room of the Museum, and the Lecturer on Law met his classes in his room in the new District Court-house. The necessity of providing proper accommodation has not yet been permanently met by the Government; but the temporary use of Admiralty House has just been granted, with the sanction of the Naval Authorities; and the lectures on Classics, English, and Mathematics, will, for the present, be delivered in that building.