Please note: Our hours of operation have changed. We are now open 8am – 5pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We are closed on Tuesday and Thursday.
The Creative Arts and Industries Print Centre is a large-format print service available to students and staff from across the University.
Location, hours and contact information
Creative Arts and Industries Student Centre
Level 2, Architecture and Planning Building (Building 421)
26 Symonds Street, Auckland Central 1010.
Phone: 09 923 1773
Opening hours: 8am-5pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Closed Tuesday and Thursday.
Print collection hours: 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday
For all queries, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find all the information required to request a print below. Paper samples are available outside the Print Centre, from computer lab 526 in the Architecture and Planning Building and the computer labs based at Elam.
Please note: We print on rolls of paper, the widths are given above. If your printed area is less than the roll width of the paper you have chosen, the Print Technician will not cut your print to size for you.
Please be aware that this is a printing service only and we do not trim your prints; there is a large guillotine directly outside the Print Centre available for your use.
No layers: Files must by flattened and have no layers, paths or alpha channels
- File format: TIFF, JPEG or PDF
- Size: Max file size - 500MB
- Colour mode: Adobe 1998
- RGB: RGB files only - no CMYK
- File name: Save your print file as your username (eg, JSMI012) followed by a unique and recognisable title, eg: JSMI012_Design200
Please take care with submitting your work. All files will be printed to these specifications alone - missed information may result in your file not being printed.
Request a print
Requesting a print is an easy process through our online shop.
- Go to the online shop
- Select the option that applies to you, complete the necessary details and upload your file(s)
- Add to chart
- Proceed to checkout
- Log in if you are an existing customer, or create a new account
- Pay for your print and you will be given a receipt*
- The Print Technician will email you to confirm when your order is complete and ready to be collected from outside the Print Centre
*You can use your receipt to request reimbursement from any of the funding that you have been given within the University (for example your Postgraduate Allowance).
How to request a print (staff or doctoral candidates using PReSS account)
If you are a staff member or a doctoral candidate wanting to use your Postgraduate Research Student Support (PReSS) account to pay for your printing, you will need to follow the instructions below that are specific to you.
- Complete the Print Centre Request Form.
The Print Technician will email you to confirm when your order is complete and ready to be collected from outside the Print Centre. A copy of the cost details will be journaled by the Creative Arts and Industries finance team to your nominated PReSS account, or staff cost centre and project codes.
- Epson Stylus Pro 9890: Fine art printing, photos, high resolution images. Max width: 111.8cm
- Epson Sure Colour: Ideal for poster printing and graphic work. Architectural designs and plans. Max roll width: 91.4cm
Please check the media type with the Print Technician before commencing.
You will need to:
- Know the weight (gsm) of the paper (paper should be between 100-300 gsm)
- Give a rough description of the type of paper
- Know the exact measurements of the paper
- Provide the ICC colour profile for the paper you have chosen
If you don't know the ICC colour profile for the paper you have chosen, you must be aware that the file may not print as it appears on screen. We suggest you do one or more test prints first.
We have a range of ICC profiles provided by Epson that match our setup. You may be able to use one of these profiles for the paper you have provided, but in this case we will not provide a guarantee for this service.
You will not be able to:
- Print on coated paper; matte paper only please. If you would like to use inkjet photo paper, please see the Print Technician first - this may be possible
- Print on both sides of the paper
How much will this cost?
- Refer to the Print Centre Price List at the top of this page
- When using paper supplied by the Print Centre you will be charged based on the size of the print and what type of paper you choose
- When supplying your own paper you will be charged based on the size of the print (A0, A1, A2) and the type of print you require such as Line Work (no block colour) or Full Colour Page
- You may wish to do a test print (at no cost to you) to give yourself a rough idea of how the print will look on the paper type you are thinking of using. A test print will only show you a maximum length of 20cm against the paper roll width you have chosen
- Please email the test print file to the Print Technician at email@example.com. Please include your paper choice and print instructions in the body of the email
FAQs and helpful hints
Can I print without a border?
No, please take this into account when creating your image. Our default border/margin is 3.5mm. Please check the price list for the maximum width of each paper type.
Can I print on both sides?
No, we do not offer this service.
What is the smallest image I can print?
A2 (594mm x 420mm).
How will I know when my print is ready?
You will receive an email from the Print Technician.
How do I get a test print done?
Create a test print file and email the file to the Print Technician at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your paper choice and print instructions in the body of the email. The Print Technician will then run your test print and will email you when it is ready for you to review.
I am a staff member or a doctoral candidate wanting to use my PReSS account, can I connect to the dropbox from home?
No, you must be on campus and connected to the University network to use the dropbox as a file delivery method.
Can I connect to the dropbox from my laptop?
Yes, but you must use the UoA-Wi-Fi, not the UoA-Guest-Wi-Fi.