Non-work related ACC injury claims

Injuries can disrupt your working life, inevitably raising many questions that need answers.

Important numbers

0800 101 996
Website: ACC

Non-work related injuries raise questions regarding your salary, compensations, leave entitlements and return to work plans.

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) is the insurer for non-work related injuries.

ACC is responsible for:

  • Medical costs to the levels provided for in the Accident Compensation Act
  • Weekly compensation where time off work is required
  • Case management and rehabilitation services.

Please note that the University ACC Partnership Programme does not cover non-work related injuries.

ACC have a comprehensive website which can be consulted for further information.

What to do if you have suffered a non-work related injury

Follow this process

  • Notify your manager and inform them of your injury status and time off requirements as detailed in your ACC45 medical certificate, this may specify that you are unfit for work for up to 14 days or can only undertake light or restricted duties.
  • You will need to forward a copy of your ACC45 medical certificate to your manager.
  • Your manager must forward a copy of the ACC45 medical certificate to the Payroll section.

If you still remain unfit for work after the initial 14 days, you must seek an additional medical certificate (an ACC18) from your doctor.

Gradual return to work

Medical certificates

Medical certificates are still required to be produced even if you have returned to work on a gradual return to work programme or on restricted hours.

Managing your injury claim

Keep in regular contact with your manager at work.

In certain cases, an ACC case manager may be assigned to manage your claim.

  • It is useful to contact your ACC case manager and discuss entitlements and the return to work phase, particularly if lost time and moderate incapacity is involved.

Make a plan

If you are able to undertake a gradual return to work, it is important that you, your manager and your case manager work through a plan and consider all of your work options.

Your manager may need to consider light and restricted duties. ACC may be able to provide assistance with transport to and from work and a worksite assessment, so you can get back to work as soon as practicable.

The assigned HR manager and Health, Safety and Wellbeing manager should be contacted and informed of the case.

Contact details: Health, Safety and Wellbeing.


If you have suffered a non-work related injury resulting in time off, you may be entitled to weekly compensation.

  • To find out if you are eligible and to apply, contact ACC on 0800 101 996.

How you are paid

The University has an agreement with ACC to pay weekly compensation on their behalf so that our employees’ earnings are not disrupted.

  • If you are injured, you'll need to acquire a medical certificate and pass this on to your manager as soon as it is issued and have it renewed prior to it expiring. Your manager will send this to payroll as soon as they receive it.
  • This process is essential as payroll will be seeking reimbursement from ACC for compensation that has been paid.


  • If you are absent from work because of a non-work related injury, you will placed on sick leave for the first week of absence. If you are still absent after one week you will be placed on accident leave.
  • Sick leave may go into deficit with the approval of your HR Manager when there is insufficient sick leave to cover time off work for the first week only.
  • After the first week, ACC will cover weekly compensation at 80% pre-capacity earnings. The University will top this payment up by 20% by using your paid sick leave to bring this to 100% compensation. If you have insufficient sick leave, you may elect to take 20% annual leave or receive weekly compensation at 80% normal earnings.

More information

You can get further information about your compensation and leave entitlements in the:

Document Control
Version: 1.0
Last Updated: June 2020
Next Review: June 2023
Approver: Associate Director, Health Safety & Wellbeing