Work-related injuries

You may be covered for work-related injuries. Make sure to report your injury as soon as possible to get the help you need.

What is a work-related injury?

It occurs to an employee while undertaking a work activity as part of their duties.

Injuries, gradual process injuries and work-related disease infection are covered under ACC legislation. However, ACC legislation defines injury criteria that must be met in order to meet coverage and to be accepted.

Find out more: Work injury claim process.

You may also be covered by ACC for a non-work related injury.

View now: Non-work related ACC injury claims.

What work-related injuries are covered by ACC legislation?

There is a specific definition of ‘injury’ in the Accident Compensation (AC) Act 2001, which is the law that ACC must apply when considering applications for claims and assistance.

Physical injuries

These include the following:

  • Wounds
  • Lacerations
  • Contusions
  • Burns
  • Sprains and strains
  • Fractures
  • Amputations or dislocations
  • Damage to dentures or prostheses
  • Blindness
  • Poisoning
  • Choking
  • Loss of consciousness
  • A foreign body in the eye.

Gradual process injuries

These injuries are caused by the gradual onset of a condition that is related to a work task or the environment that you work in.

Two common examples include:

  • Tendonitis or a diagnosed condition related to occupational overuse syndrome
  • Noise-induced hearing loss.

Gradual process injuries must be diagnosed by a doctor and not a physiotherapist. The diagnosis must say the injury is related to your work and meets the legislative injury criteria. These types of injuries can worsen over time, so the sooner you seek medical attention the better.

Complex injury claims

How long will the claim take?

Additional information and investigation will be required in order for a decision to be made.

It can take up to two months. However, it could take longer if  additional time is needed but you will be formally notified with a reason should this occur.

How much will it cost?

The University covers the costs of any required investigation, regardless of the final decision on the claim.

Examples of complex injuries

  • Noise-induced hearing loss
    • If you have trouble with your hearing and it is related to past work-related exposure, you will need to go to your doctor for a diagnosis.
    • Even though your hearing loss may have occurred in your previous working life, the University will manage and conduct investigations into your noise-induced hearing loss claim. So don’t be surprised if you discuss this with your doctor and then the University contacts you on this matter. This is a condition of the ACC Partnership programme for accredited employers to investigate.
    • For noise-induced hearing loss conditions, follow the accident reporting and injury claim process.
  • Workplace illness and infection

Injuries resulting in lost time and incapacity

If you have suffered serious injury, e.g. a fractured leg, severe burns, prolapsed disc of the spine or any injury resulting in physical incapacity and lost time from work, it is important to let your manager know as soon as possible. This ensures that an initial Needs Assessment can be conducted by or arranged with a WorkAon Claim Manager.

The initial Needs Assessment checks if the injured person needs assistance with, for example:

  • Travel to medical appointments if unable to drive
  • Home help for household chores
  • Attendant care.

Supervisors and managers

If you become aware of a staff member whose injury has resulted in lost time from work or incapacity, immediately inform the Health, Safety and Wellbeing ACC injury claims manager and also keep in contact with the injured staff member.

Early contact and intervention with the injured person can help the person through the claim process, provide assistance that they may need (medical/social/vocational) and reduce worry and anxiety during a potentially difficult and painful time.

View now: Contact details for Health, Safety and Wellbeing.

Useful links

Document Control
Version: 1.0
Last Updated: June 2020
Next Review: June 2023
Approver: Associate Director, Health Safety & Wellbeing