First aid training
Find out more about the first aid courses available at the University of Auckland.
Volunteering: Would you like to be a first aider?
If you are a member of staff and would like to volunteer for this important role, please talk to your manager.
Training for Designated Building First Aiders is paid for by the University’s central fund, while any others are paid for by their business unit.
The initial course is taught over two days, and a one-day refresher course is required every two years. Both courses are charged at a subsidised rate for the University.
In addition, specialty first aid courses for specific roles (e.g. Electrical Service Technicians) are also organised through the University.
How many First Aiders do I need?
You need to ensure at least one first aider is available at all times your building/department is open. This means taking into account, staff leave, breaks and sickness.
You must also consider:
- the number of workers at the workplace at any given time
- the nature of the work undertaken and its risks
- the likelihood of people being hurt, and how serious the injuries might be
- the physical size of the workplace and whether workers are scattered across different parts of it
- the location of the workplace and its distance from ambulance services, medical centres and hospitals
- whether other people (for example, students or members of the public) visit the workplace
Enrolment and cancellation details
- To view course availability, visit Career Tools.
- In the search box in the top righthand corner enter the course title.
- Find the session you would like to attend and click on the request button to register.
Note: If you are a UniServices or other affiliated staff member and cannot access Career Tools, please email email@example.com.
Specify the event you wish to enrol in, providing your full name, ID number and the event code.
A cancellation fee for courses often applies. For details, please see our cancellation policy.
- Two day course offers NZQA unit standards 6402, 6401, 6400.
- Certificate is valid for two years.
- Meets the University workplace first aid requirements.
- Workplace first aiders who do not hold a valid first aid certificate.
- Early Childhood Education services and kohanga reo (required for early childhood educators by the Ministry of Education).
- Free for University designated building first aiders.
- $165 per person, all other staff.
- For all staff members wanting to refresh their current, or recently expired, first aid certificate.
- One-day course
Workplace first aiders whose current certificate is nearing expiry or is no more than three months over its expiry date.
A first aid certificate is valid for two years.
Note: You will not be eligible to attend this workshop if you do not fit the above criteria.
- Free for University-designated overall building first aider.
- $100 per person, all other staff.
- Please provide cost codes on enrolment for this course.
New Zealand Red Cross
Last Updated: Feb 2023
Next Review: Feb 2026
Approver: Associate Director, Health Safety & Wellbeing