International and Comparative Law
Courses in international law aim to bridge the international and New Zealand legal contexts and the relationship between international and domestic law.
Auckland Law School has been developing an exciting and dynamic international law programme since the early 1990s. Specialisations range from private law areas such as international taxation, comparative family law and international arbitration to public international law areas of environmental, security, criminal, trade and investment law.
Currently approximately one-quarter of the Auckland Law School’s lecturers teach, research and supervise in areas of international law.
Many of our students have written their LLB Honours dissertations and Masters and Doctoral theses in international-related subjects.
Recent topic areas include:
- Free trade agreements
- Globalisation and imperialism
- Indigenous rights
- International criminal law
- International environmental law
- International family law
- International human rights
- Multinational corporations
Academic staff researchers and teachers
The following members of staff conduct teaching, research and postgraduate supervision in the area of International and Comparative Law.
Field of research: International environmental law, comparative environmental law, comparative constitutional law, state sovereignty and globalization, Earth system governance, global environmental constitutionalism, human rights and environment
Field of research: Indigenous peoples' rights in international and constitutional law
Field of research: Law of the sea, public international law, international organizations, European Union law, comparative law; law and globalization
Field of research: Relationship between domestic and international law, customary international law, law of arms control, international criminal law, international humanitarian law
Field of research: Treaty of Waitangi, Māori land law, Māori customary law, human rights and indigenous rights
Field of research: Public international law, trade, human rights, international environmental law, law of the sea, Antarctica, international courts and tribunals, international dispute resolution
Field of research: Public international law, international economic law, international environmental law
Field of research: History of public and international public law, particularly international refugee law, the law of security and disarmament
Field of research: International commercial arbitration, investment arbitration, international economic regulation, international disputes settlement.
Field of research: New generation bilateral and mega-regional economic integration agreements, trade in services, investment agreements, e-commerce, political economy of international economic law
Field of research: Corruption, campaign / party finance, comparative constitutional law, economic and political inequality, critical approaches to law and political economy, democratic theory
Field of research: The public-private distinction, the nature of the Crown, Bills of Rights, bureaucratic design, public contracting, freedom of information and the nature of unwritten constitutions
Field of research: International competition law, World Trade Organisation, regional economic integration
Field of research: Constitutional law and legal theory, discrimination law, religious freedom, freedom of expression, freedom of association, charitable trusts, voluntary associations and unincorporated societies
Field of research: Human rights law, public law, freedom of expression and religion, law about education, South Pacific legal studies.
Field of research: Indigenous peoples’ rights in international law
Courses available in International and Comparative Law
Subject to availability the following courses may be offered:
- LAWCOMM 407 - Conflict of Laws
- LAWENVIR 420 - Global Environmental Law
- LAWPUBL 402 - Public International Law
- LAWPUBL 421 - Advanced International Law
- LAWPUBL 424 - Immigration and Refugee Law
- LAWPUBL 428 - Rights and Freedoms
- LAWPUBL 432 - International Economic Regulation
- LAWPUBL 434 - International Criminal Law
- LAWPUBL 436 - International Human Rights
- LAWPUBL 445 - European Union Law
- LAWPUBL 446 - Indigenous Peoples in International Law
- LAWPUBL 452 - Law of Armed Conflict
- LAWPUBL 454 - International Disputes Settlement
- LAWPUBL 458 - Comparative Indigenous Law
- LAWPUBL 462 - Law of the Sea
- LAWPUBL 466 - Contemporary Issues in Disarmament Law
- LAWHONS 735AB - Corruption and Democracy, Comparative Legal Frameworks
- LAWHONS 736AB - Topics in International Law
- COMLAW 741 - International Tax
- LAWCOMM 702 - International Arbitration
- LAWGENRL 728 - Corruption: Comparative and International
- LAWPUBL 726 - Public International Law
- LAWPUBL 749 - Comparative Constitutional Law