Leadership and Service Award
The Leadership and Service Award allows you to gain official recognition for skills developed through volunteering within the University and wider community.
About the award
The Leadership and Service Award provides formal recognition for your achievements in leadership and community service outside of your formal programme of study.
There are three levels of the award: bronze, silver and gold, that acknowledge the different levels of achievement within volunteering.
Successful completion of the award is recorded on your official academic transcript.
How the award works
The award is self-paced and self-directed. You are expected to manage your time commitments, ensuring you manage your out of classroom activities around your academic studies.
To achieve the award you must officially begin by applying on the portal. You have 12 months from this point to volunteer and complete the award.
You need to gather evidence of:
- The voluntary work you have done (how long you did it for, the place you volunteered, the role, any training you had)
- The skills or competencies you have developed as a result
- Your own reflections on the experience
- You also need to attend a workshop on the award
In your application you can use a variety of volunteering experiences from different organisations. Your volunteering hours will need to be verified by your respective coordinators or managers.
The Leadership and Service Panel will review your application and determine what level (gold, silver or bronze) is awarded. The panel is not just interested in the number of hours you put in, but also the skills and competencies you develop while volunteering.
Take a look at the competency levels table below which the panel uses to help decide the level of award.
After starting your award, you have 12 months to volunteer and complete it.
For students who have started their award and are now submitting their application.
Overview of requirements
To complete the award you are required to:
- Apply to start your award. You will have 12 months to complete your application.
- Complete at least 40 hours of service.
- Respond to five competencies describing your experience.
- Complete a reflective summary.
- Attend a Leadership and Service Award workshop.
All Leadership and Service Award workshops are held in 398, the room below Shadows Bar and above Quad Cafe on the City Campus.
- Wednesday 22 March, 12-1pm
- Monday 10 April, 12-1pm
- Wednesday 17 May, 12-1pm
- Tuesday 8 August, 12-1pm
- Thursday 21 September, 12-1pm
If the above times do not suit, you can request a one-on-one appointment by emailing us.
Frequently asked questions
Want to know more? Find out more detailed information on the Leadership and Service Award portal.
For more information about the Leadership and Service Award, please contact:
Gemma Skipper | Campus Life
Phone: +64 9 923 8017