City Campus Quad construction
This page will keep you updated on the construction work happening on City Campus over the next few years, and help you minimise disruption to your Uni routine.
A new Recreation and Wellness Centre is under development and is scheduled to open in 2024. Because of this, access in and around the construction site will be limited over the next few years, which will impact walkways, retail outlets and some access to nearby buildings.
Updates on construction and information on access will be posted on this page to assist students. If you have any questions about the Sector 300 redevelopment contact the project team on email@example.com.
To learn more about the new Recreation and Wellness Centre, please visit the Recreation Centre developments web page.
Update: 20 February 2020
Preparation of the site to enable construction of the new centre commenced over the summer period with the most noticeable aspect being the demolition of Shadows (Building 312B). A replacement facility will be opening in a new location in Sector 300 for Semester One 2020.
Construction continues on a new link bridge between the Quad and the KEIC Plaza. Further enabling works are planned for the inter-semester break.
We would like to thank all students and staff for their patience and understanding during the construction period.
Several of the retailers in this area (sector 300) have moved or closed. A number of new retailers will join us in 2020 and to keep informed about all campus retailers please read the food and retail web page.
Update: 18 November 2019
On Monday 18 November works start within and around building B312 (formally Shadows, Relax Cafe, Cap‘n’Gown Lounge, Quad Cafe) to prepare for the upcoming Recreation and Wellness Centre project.
Access from the Quad and Kate Edger Information Commons will be restricted around the Rec Centre plaza. Hoardings will be installed around the area, which will impact the Quad and the Science Plaza. Remedial work in Kate Edger Information Commons will affect some entrances and walkways inside and outside the building. However, access will be maintained to all other buildings, retailers and walkways.
Work affecting Kate Edger Information Commons is scheduled to finish by Saturday 22 February, before Semester One, 2020 starts.
Please note: Separate from this project, Alfred Street is scheduled to close to vehicles from 18 November to 20 December 2019 to complete drainage works.
Retail and room closures:
- Quad Café closed Friday 25 October 2019
- Relax Café closed Friday 15 November 2019
- Espresso Alley closed on Friday 15 November 2019
- Moustache Cookie Bar closed Friday 15 November 2019
- Student Travel (STA) closed Friday 15 November 2019
- Shadows Bar closed on Saturday 16 November 2019. Shadows will reopen in a new location in time for Semester One, 2020.
- The Cap’n’Gown Lounge closed on Friday 15 November 2019
- The Jumu'ah Prayer Space will relocate from mid-November. Please contact Muslim Students Association for details of their new location. The Muslim Prayer Room in the Science Building (B301) is not affected.