Explore the University's campuses in this orienteering-style fun run.
Register your team now for the 2018 Metrogaine event and compete to win some amazing prizes!
If you are wanting to participate, but don't have a team together, register as an individual and we will help you form your team!
Date: Friday 23 March 2018
Time: 3.30pm start (3 hour race), 5pm start (90 minute race).
Categories: Staff and student teams (male, female and mixed).
Metrogaining is a sport of urban navigation involving both route planning and navigating between check points, similar to orienteering. Teams of four will be supplied a map just before the race begins and challenged to find as many checkpoints as they can within the given time limit. Checkpoints are worth points and the objective is to accumulate as many points as possible within the time limit. Upon discovering a checkpoint teams will send their results by text message and progress and points will be electronically tracked.
- The event is free for all University of Auckland staff and students.
- There are two race lengths – three hours and 90 minutes.
- The race map will cover approximately 4km by 4km of central Auckland, of which you can cover as much or as little as you like. At the very least you will need to walk from the City Campus to the Newmarket Campus which is approximately 2.5km.
- The route that your team takes to locate checkpoints then get to the finish line is completely up to you. So planning your team’s route is an important step in the race as you need to use your time and energy wisely.
- There will be food available for purchase from vendors at the finish line (Newmarket Campus).
Get an idea of what's in store from last year's map and race instructions. Remember, you will be given the event map just before the race begins.
For more information or to answer any questions, please contact Sports Officer Tiwai Wilson.