Open Day volunteers
Come and join us for our Mānawa Mai | Open Day on Saturday 26 August.
We're looking for student volunteers to help the team for Mānawa Mai, our Open Day on Saturday 26 August 2023.
This important day is one of the biggest events on the University calendar and gives future students a chance to see what the University of Auckland is all about. They’ll experience what it’s like to be part of the Waipapa Taumata Rau whānau and have the opportunity to explore our vibrant campuses in the heart of Auckland. It'll be an action-packed day where they’ll be able to connect with staff and students while discovering the social side of university and all it has to offer.
How can you get involved?
We're looking for a number of students to help us on the day in various roles. This is a great opportunity to bolster your extra-curriculum experience, and help build an unforgettable Open Day experience for new students.
As a koha for your commitment and support, we'll provide a catered lunch for all volunteers. Bonus - $100 Westfield voucher for all full-day volunteers and $50 for half-day volunteers.
About the event:
Date: Saturday 26 August 2023
Start time: 9am
Finish time: 4.30pm
Location: City Campus (small numbers of volunteers will also be needed for Grafton Campus)
Volunteers support a wide range of functions across the day of the event and are the key to delivering a memorable experience for all visitors.
Below you will find some information about the areas of work you may be asked to cover. Please select multiple areas of interest when filling out the application form as you may be assigned to multiple jobs during the day.
We will do our best to accommodate your preference, however, please note that it is not guaranteed. If you really want to work in a particular area, make sure you include a good amount of information on why you’re the best person for the job, as this will increase your chance in getting selected.
If you have a specific knowledge for an area of the campus (eg. Grafton Campus) or a specific Faculty or School (eg. Business School), please mention that in your application form.
Shifts and breaks
You have the option of choosing a full day shift or a half day shift. Below you'll find the outlines of each.
- Full day shift: 8-5pm
- Morning shift: 8am-12.30pm
- Afternoon shift: 12.30pm-5pm
All volunteers will get 2x 10 min refreshment breaks for a full day shift and x1 10 min refreshment break for a half day shift. 1 hour lunch break is included in the full day shift.
Info help desks:
- Provide information to visitors about the event and the programme for the day. Answer questions about the campus and provide directions to all visitors.
- Info Help Desks will be spread across the entire campus.
- Some questions that you might be asked by visitors are: Do you have the programme for the day? What is the first activity for the day? How do I book a tour for your accommodation buildings?
- Be a friendly face and assist visitors with finding their way around our campuses. Additionally, you would be familiar with the programme for the day and would be the one to assist visitors with locating their next activity.
- Some questions you might get asked are: How to I get from Alfred Street to the Business School? Where is the Engineering building?
- Be the first point of contact for our prospective students as they step foot on our campus for the first time. Help make them feel welcome and calm any nerves with a friendly conversation.
- University of Auckland provides transport for students from schools across Auckland as well as intercity buses to provide prospective students with an equal opportunity to visit our campus. This role will be welcoming them as they arrive from their journey and will assist with them catching the correct bus at the end of the day.
- University of Auckland is putting on a vibrant series of activities throughout the day to highlight our campus in the best light possible. In this role, you would be assisting with running some of those activities, e.g. Putt Putt Mini Golf.
- Due to the size of our Open Day event, our production team will need help with general requests such as setting up stalls, delivering brochures or campus maps, restocking on snacks, crowd control and covering any other gaps around campus during the day.
What are the next steps?
If you are interesting in joining us as a volunteer for Mānawa Mai, please fill out the form in the link below.
We will be then be in touch to confirm your application and where you have been allocated.
You will be required to attend a volunteer briefing prior to the day of the event. During this briefing, you’ll be informed of the programme of the event, some key locations and activities, health and safety and any other relevant information. Additionally, as part of the briefing, you’ll also get trained in all aspects of your assigned roles.