Giving back to others makes us feel even happier than when we do nice things for ourselves.
The act of paying it forward (aka random acts of kindness) can be very rewarding. This section looks at how helping others, as well as helping yourself (a few kind words in the mirror go a long way), can do wonders for your sense of wellbeing.
Give to others
Here are a few great ways you can give to your family, friends, and wider community:
- Open a door for someone
- Listen to a family member or friend who needs to express themselves
- Smile at a stranger who looks as if they are carrying the world on their shoulders
- Compliment someone for something you’ve observed
- Give without expecting anything in return
- Pay it forward - let another person's kind act inspire you to do the same for someone else
Give to yourself
We often don’t think twice about being kind to our friends, family and loved ones, but do you treat yourself with the same kindness, care and compassion?
Here are a few ways you can say thank you to yourself for simply being you:
- Accept that mistakes and imperfection are a natural part of life
- Allow yourself to feel the range of emotions attached to any given situation
- Reflect and learn from bad experiences
- Recognise the difference between a bad decision and a bad person
- Replace any critical thoughts with kindness and encouragement
- Treat yourself as you would treat your friend - with care and compassion
- Give yourself permission to be imperfect, we are all flawed. It is ok to be sensitive, unproductive or lazy, you just need to find balance and perspective and have faith in your own potential!