Equity Initiative Grant
Funding is available to support initiatives that help the Faculty of Science in supporting staff and/or students who are Māori and/or belong to equity groups.
Funding is available to support initiatives that help the Faculty of Science in:
- Supporting staff and/or students who are Māori and/or belong to equity groups.
- Achieving our vision and strategic goals related to the flourishing of Māori and equity groups within the Faculty of Science.
- Initiatives can focus on students and/or staff.
- Students can be principally engaged with the initiative, but a member of staff needs to take overall responsibility.
- Initiatives can be narrow (e.g. focused one particular group in one particular discipline) or more general (e.g. a group across the faculty).
We interpret initiative broadly and inclusively, recognising that what might work for one group is quite different to what might work for another. We expect some rationale for the initiative, but that does not mean we require a very high empirical evidentiary standard. Indeed, we welcome initiatives that are creative and visionary – but they do require a clear rationale for why they might work.
Total funding pool: $10,000
Funding available per grant: Generally $500-$2000
Duration: Grant must be spent within the financial year applied for, but project duration may be longer.
Spending must be in accordance with University of Auckland policy.
How to apply
Individuals or groups can apply by submitting a completed brief application form, including a budget, to the Faculty of Science Equity Committee (FoSEC) for consideration and review by the specified due date. A sub-committee constituted by Faculty of Science Equity Committee members* will convene each year to review applications, seeking additional clarification if necessary, and notifying applicants of the outcome within three weeks of application. At the end of the initiative, applicants need to submit a brief evaluative report on the initiative.
*Ad-hoc members not part of FoSEC may also be called on, as needed.
In 2021, we are seeking proposals for initiatives that focus on intervention (broadly construed) rather than data collection/analysis. Please check with the Associate Dean Equity if you are unsure.
Completed application forms should be emailed to the Faculty Administrator.
Deadline for 2021 applications is 5 May.