Student Survey Policy and Register
Student Survey Policy
The University’s Student Survey Policy governs surveying of the student population at the University of Auckland.
All large-scale surveys of students, whether as part of institutional or academic research, must be approved by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic). This allows the management of survey time-frames and increases understanding of the purposes and outcomes of collecting information from students.
The approval requirement also protects the University's core institutional surveys of students:
- Learning and Teaching Survey (annual)
- New Students Survey (annual)
- Graduate Destination Survey (every two years)
- International Student Barometer (every two years)
Link to the Student Survey Policy
I want to survey students - what do I need to know?
- All surveys for the purpose of academic research require ethics approval from the University of Auckland Human Participants Ethics Committee
- Large-scale surveys of students for institutional research purposes must apply for approval from the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic)
- Exemptions to the requirement for approval include: small-scale surveys; service feedback surveys; and the AUSA Survey on the Student Services Levy and other small scale surveys conducted by AUSA
Survey sponsors wishing to conduct surveys of University of Auckland students should fill in and submit the Student Survey Proposal form. The proposal will be assessed by the Academic Quality Office and and approved by the DVC(A), if suitable.
Link to Student Survey Proposal Form
University Surveys of Students
If you are applying to survey University of Auckland students, please consult the list of core surveys below and download the Survey Register to consider the best timeframe for your survey, as well as whether the information you need may have been obtained already in another survey. You may contact the survey sponsor listed on the Survey Register.
University Core Surveys in 2019
SET Course and Teaching Evaluations: Last 2 teaching weeks of each term
New Student Survey: March (week 3 or 4 of semester)
International Student Barometer: May - June
Learning and Teaching Survey: September - October
Graduate Destinations Survey: November
Doctoral Exit Survey: Ad hoc (on submission)
All 2019 University-Approved Surveys
If you have any questions about surveying students at the University of Auckland, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org