The University of Auckland takes great pride in its sustainable practices and encourages all students, staff, and visitors to join us in working towards limiting our waste and improving our environmental performance. The Career Development and Employability Services (CDES) team is committed to providing events that are not only beneficial to students and employers, but also to the environment. This means implementing tools and opportunities to ensure that all resources are being used efficiently.
What You Can Do To Help
- Bring a reusable water bottle to refill at our drinking fountains throughout the event. If you do end up using a disposable cup, please try to re-use.
- Carry-out what you carry-in. Please be mindful of cardboard, paper, and single use plastics that you bring to our events. If there is anything you’d like to leave behind, please ensure that it is broken down and left with a CDES staff member who can properly dispose of the item.
- Minimise the amount of paper and plastic handouts. If possible, encourage students to make a note on their phone or take a picture of an important email address, web URL, or general information.
- Use environmentally considerate transport to get to and from the event. We understand that you may have some props and collateral, but please also consider carpooling or ridesharing.
What We Are Doing To Help
- Providing glass flip-cap water jugs for refilling water bottles and glasses.
- No longer providing single use water bottles.
- Using electronic e-screens, tablets and iPads where possible to share information, and limiting our printed handouts for both employers and students.
- Minimising the amount of food waste during events, and working with caterers to choose products that are recyclable or have compostable packaging, and have fewer environmental impacts.
- Encouraging all staff members to use public transport or ridesharing to get to and from the event.
Have a suggestion for other ways we can be greener? Then please let us know! Contact Kate Coley, Employer Engagement Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org / 09 923 9433