What will studying in 2021 be like for me?

Welcome to our students starting or returning to study in 2021. Find out how Covid-19 may affect the academic year, and what we're doing to give you the highest quality education and student experience, both in person and online.

Two students collaborating at a computer.

We're here to help you

This can be an uncertain time for many students, but we are here to help. If you cannot find what you need, please get in touch.

Contact our Student Support Team

Applying to study, enrolling in courses and paying fees

What are my options when applying to study?

We’ve made some changes to give you additional options and to help you meet our admission requirements. 

Read more about Covid-19 information for applicants

I haven’t met the requirements for my desired programme, can I still apply to study at the University?

If you had gained University Entrance but you were unsuccessful in gaining admission to the programme of your choice, you can consider other programmes at the University of Auckland.

Find out more about your options

What about my identification documents?

In order to enrol into your courses, we need to verify your personal details.

  • Please email a copy of your passport or birth certificate to admission@auckland.ac.nz with ‘Identification documents for enrolment’ as the subject line.
  • This will ensure we prioritise and process your document as soon as possible.
  • Please note you will need to provide a hard copy of your identification document once lockdown lifts.

How do I get help with enrolment? 

See our step-by-step guide on how to enrol in a course.

If you are waiting on a concession decision, please note we are processing high volumes of concession requests and will provide you with an outcome as soon as possible.

If your enrolment enquiry is urgent, please email your faculty student centre with ‘I need enrolment assistance’ as the subject line.

How do I pay for my fees?

If you are in the process of arranging payment of fees, please rest assured you will not lose access to your online courses and resources due to late or delayed payment. 

If you are eligible for Fees Free and you’re waiting for your eligibility to come through, we receive regular updates and this will be reflected on your Fees account as soon as we have your confirmed status. Please contact the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) if you have any questions about your eligibility.

Contact TEC

If you are paying for your fees via a StudyLink student loan, please ensure you apply for your loan as soon as possible. This will be their peak period so there may be a delay in processing your loan application. Please contact StudyLink if you have any questions about your loan.

Contact Studylink

If you are paying for your fees yourself or through a third party, we encourage you to pay as soon as possible via Student Services Online.

Read about finances in Student Services Online

Teaching and assessments

How do Alert Levels impact teaching and learning at the University?

The University of Auckland follows the Ministry of Education’s Guidelines for Tertiary Education Organisations on how to operate at the different Alert Levels. The University will respond according to the requirements of the different Alert Levels as they happen.

See how the University will operate at different Alert Levels

Will learning and teaching be available at Alert Level 1?

In 2021, the delivery mode of teaching (online, on campus or a combination) will be determined according to the needs of the programme.

Each school will communicate directly with staff and students about the arrangements for its programmes. This is to ensure we’re able to cope better with the possible situation of moving in and out of alert levels throughout 2021.

In making decisions about delivery mode, the quality of student learning and experience remains a top priority.

What if I am sick and unable to make assessments in Semester One?

If you are unwell or unable to come onto campus for tests or exams, you can apply for aegrotat and compassionate consideration.

  • If your reason for applying relates to a physical health issue, use the aegrotat form. 
  • For all other issues, use the compassionate consideration form.
  • If your reason for applying relates to Covid-19, we will waive the application fees.

Learn about aegrotat and compassionate consideration

I’m a doctoral student, how might I be affected?

We have information to help postgraduate research students, including PhD and named doctorate candidates.

Read about Covid-19 updates for doctoral candidates

International students

How is the University supporting international students?

We are here to support you during this uncertain time. We've prepared information on studying with the University of Auckland from overseas, including:

  • Studying online
  • New Zealand border policy
  • China Learning Centres

Read our guide for overseas students

Support for students

Can I get a laptop or wifi device to help me with my studies?

You can apply online for a laptop or wifi device to assist you with your studies. For more information on the application process and form, please see Student technology support

If you are a PhD student, please contact the Staff Service Centre for more information on technology support available to you.

What health and counselling services can I access as a student?

The University provides students with a primary healthcare service, counselling and medical services, ensuring the health and wellbeing of our student community. 

Learn about our Student Health and Counselling Service
Read about counselling support while self-isolating

What academic support is available to me?

You have a wide range of support services, both online and in person, that can help you to succeed in your study, including student centres and student tools.

Read about academic support

Can I get help if I'm struggling financially?

We can help you in several ways, including hardship grants and help on financial wellbeing. 

Learn about financial support

If we change Alert Levels, what support services are available?

There is a full range of student support services, even if you are off campus.

Access our student services off campus


What are my accommodation options if I’m studying on campus?

We will continue to operate as normal at Alert Level 1 and have a wide range of accommodation options available to students.  

What happens with accommodation if the Alert Level changes?

Your university home will continue to be your home. As the Ministry of Education advises, providing accommodation services to students is an essential service. Our accommodation will remain open and operate if the Alert Level changes and you will be fully supported by our Accommodation staff. We also have in place a cleaning and sanitising plan for each of our residences to ensure they’re cleaned more frequently and with extra care.

See Covid-19 accommodation support

Libraries and Learning Services

What happens with my library access if the Alert Level changes?

You can still access most of our library and learning services during alert level 2 and 3 via online or click-and-collect. Place a request online and select your prefered library for pick up.

You can also continue to access our student support services via Zoom.

Libraries and Learning Services at different alert levels

Am I able to study on campus at Alert Level 3?

Yes, you can study on campus in the Kate Edger Information Commons. You can also use these study spaces to complete an online exam if needed. You will need to use the government tracer app, and it is recommended that bluetooth is turned on. You are encouraged to wear a mask.

Do I need to book a study space?

No pre-booking is required, all spaces are allocated on a first in, first served basis. 

Health and safety

Read the latest advice on the symptoms of Covid-19, what to do if you think you have the virus, wearing a face mask and protecting yourself.

Read Covid-19 information for our community

New Zealand support services and information

Get information from the New Zealand government, Ministry of Health, and Immigration New Zealand.

Read Covid-19 information for our community