Meet the Director, International
Brett Berquist has more than 25 years experience in the international education sector, in Europe, the US, and Asia, as academic staff and administrator leading international recruitment strategy, transnational education, ESL provision, campus-wide internationalisation strategy, and credit mobility.
Prior to becoming Director International at the University of Auckland in 2015, he held senior roles in the sector in Michigan and France. He holds French and US passports and degrees in music, French, and linguistics.
NZ business missing out on foreign graduate talent (18 July 2019, Newsroom)
What international students do for NZ (14 May 2018, Newsroom)
Slashing PhD prices for international students was a masterstroke (13 March 2018, Times Higher Education)
International Education, Immigration and Research: a New Zealand success story (IEAA Vista, Winter 2017)
Foreign PhD students are worth it (29 March 2017, Newsroom)
- Crawford, P. & Berquist, B. (Eds.) (forthcoming). Community Engagement Abroad: Perspectives and practices on service, engagement, and learning overseas. East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press.
- Berquist, B., Moore, K., & Milano, J. (Eds.). (2018). International internships: Mission, methods & models, a collection of papers from the Global Internship Conference. Boston, MA: Academic Internship Council.
Chapters & Proceedings:
- Berquist, B. & Moore, A. (2019). Internationalization and Employability – the case of the kiwi Overseas Experience (OE). In R. Coelen & C. Gribble (Eds.), Internationalisation and Employability in Higher Education. London: Routledge.
- Berquist, B. & Milano, J. (forthcoming). Intersections between Service Learning and Study Abroad: A Framework for Community Engagement Abroad. In P. Crawford & B. Berquist (Eds.), Community Engagement Abroad: Perspectives and practices on service, engagement, and learning overseas. East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press.
- Berquist, B. (2019). Education Abroad. In D. DiMaria (Ed.). International Education Leadership. Washington, DC: NAFSA.
- Berquist, B. (2018). Development of the International Internship Industry. In B. Berquist, K. Moore, & J. Milano (Eds.), International internships: Mission, methods & models, a collection of papers from the Global Internship Conference. Boston, MA: Academic Internship Council.
- Dirkx, J., Janka Millar, K., Berquist, B., Vizvary, G. (2014) Graduate Student Learning Abroad: Emerging Trend? International Higher Education, No. 77: Fall 2014.
- Johnson, M. & Berquist, B. (2013) Counting What Matters: Collective Benchmarking on Learning Mobility. Trends and Insights Series, NAFSA Association of International Educators.
- Potts, D. & Berquist, B. (2014) Researching Outcomes of International Learning Mobility: Taking the Next Steps. Research Digest 1, International Education Association of Australia. https://www.ieaa.org.au/documents/item/256
- Burgess, P. & Berquist, B. (2012) Cross-border projects, programs and providers. In The SAGE Handbook of International Higher Education. (Deardorff, Adams, Heyl, DeWit, Eds.) SAGE.
- Liderazgo en la Internacionalización: Un compromiso comunitario. Educacion Global, Vol 15, 2011. Asociación Mexicana para la Educación Internacional, Manzanillo, Mexico. With Irvin Widders.
Brett Berquist on Twitter: @bberquist
Office of the Director
Libby Passau supports the Director and the entire International Office team in her role as International Office Coordinator.