Direct Loan application process
The following information will assist you with the four-step application process, the disbursement timeline and exchange rate policy.
When to apply for Direct Loans
You must be accepted to an eligible programme at the University of Auckland (the University) before your financial aid application can be assessed.
- In November, we start processing Financial Aid applications from those students whose programmes start in March.
- In May, we start processing Financial Aid applications from those students whose programmes start in July.
It takes 10-15 business days to complete a financial aid application.
How to apply for Direct loans
Step One – Submit your financial aid application to the Financial Aid Coordinator at the University.
You must complete the following documents:
- From the US federal student aid website:
- Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) to the US Department of Education (ED)
- A Direct PLUS loan request (if applicable)
- Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Direct Subsidised and Unsubsidised Loans
- Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Direct PLUS Loans (if applicable)
- Entrance Counselling
- The University of Auckland Financial Aid application form
Note: Entrance Counselling is required for all first time borrowers at the University. Returning students are required to complete Entrance Counselling if they start a new programme.
Step Two – Receive your Award letter from the Financial Aid Coordinator.
Your financial aid application will be assessed by the Financial Aid Coordinator. If eligible, you will receive your Award letter by email detailing your Cost of Attendance, the types of Direct Loans and award amounts for which you are eligible.
Step Three – Direct Loan Origination
You must return your signed Award letter with the types of loans and amounts that you are requesting to the Financial Aid Coordinator for loan origination.
Step Four – Direct Loan Information letter for student visa application
You will receive your Direct Loan Information letter from the Financial Aid Coordinator to support your student visa application.
Step Five – Receive your Direct Loan funds
You will receive a minimum of two equal disbursements per year which coincide with the start of each semester.
You must submit a Refund Request to the Financial Aid Coordinator before the funds are disbursed.
The loan funds will be received by the University in 3-5 business days after they are disbursed by the ED.
After tuition and fees are paid in full, the excess balance will be refunded to your designated bank account within 14 days of when the funds are received by the University.
Note: The University does not charge a US Financial Aid application fee. A NZ$60.00 refund processing fee is waived for US Financial Aid recipients. An administrative fee of NZ$1,000.00 does not apply to refund of US Financial Aid.