NZ Development Scholarships
New Zealand Development Scholarships (NZDS) are funded by the New Zealand Aid Programme, the New Zealand government’s overseas aid and development programme. They are managed by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT).
The purpose is for candidates to gain knowledge and skills through postgraduate study in specific subject areas that will assist in the development of their home country. Awardees are required to return to their home country for at least two years after the completion of their scholarship to apply these new skills and knowledge in government, civil society, or private business organisations.
What does the NZDS cover at the University of Auckland?
- Full tuition fees.
- Return economy air travel.
- An establishment allowance upon arrival in New Zealand.
- Medical insurance.
- Provision for students to meet basic living costs.
The partners of students may be eligible for a work visa that allows them to live and work in New Zealand for the duration of their partner’s study.
Who is eligible?
Applications for NZDS are welcome from the following countries. Click on your country/region to see specific eligibility criteria.
- Africa: Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Cameroon, Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Asia: Bhutan, Jordan, Mongolia, Nepal, Timor-Leste
- Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Venezuela
- The Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago.
Application processes and timelines vary. For information about the application process, see New Zealand Aid Programme Scholarships.
How do I apply?
Application processes and timelines vary. For information about the application process please see New Zealand Aid Programme Scholarships.