Next steps after receiving your offer

What to do after you are accepted into our Study Abroad or Exchange programme.

Accepting your offer

If your application is successful, you will be given one of two offers:

  • A firm offer of admission
  • A conditional offer of admission.

Both are sent by email. The email contains links to important information to help you prepare to come to Auckland. To apply for your student visa, you need a firm offer of admission.

You can accept your offer at Application for Admission

A conditional offer means you will be issued a firm offer of admission after you have completed the conditions detailed in the email. A conditional offer is not adequate for applying for a student visa.

If you accept a conditional offer, your firm offer will be automatically accepted after it’s issued.

Students who are not accepted into the Study Abroad or Exchange programmes will be notified by email.

Enrolling in your courses

After you have accepted your offer of admission you can enrol in courses or request concession to enrol in courses which need University of Auckland faculty approval.

Choosing your courses

As a Study Abroad or Exchange student, you can select courses from a wide range of subjects. You can study 3 or 4 courses per semester. Before you enrol in your chosen courses, we recommend you select a few additional courses you are interested in, and have these approved by your home institution, in case there is any difficulty enrolling in your preferred courses. This could be because of timetable clashes, lack of relevant prior study (for courses with prerequisites), or limited places available.

Enrolling in courses

When you’re ready to enrol in your chosen courses, go to Student Services Online. You will need your University of Auckland username and password to log in. As you go through the enrolment process, you will be able to check your timetable for clashes, and will be notified if University of Auckland faculty approval is required.

To find out how to enrol, drop and change courses, visit the following links:

What to do if your courses require faculty approval

When enrolling in your courses online, you may get a notification instructing you to apply for a concession. This will happen when the course has prerequisite requirements that must be met before you can enrol.

In the concession process, the University of Auckland will look at prior study you have done at your home University to assess whether you meet the prerequisite requirements. You will likely have to provide course outlines/syllabi (in English) for courses you have taken at your home university that are equivalent to the prerequisite requirement for the course you want to take here.

For more information about the process, see Enrolment concessions for Study Abroad and Exchange

Note: The course catalogue details prerequisites for each course. However, for most courses within the faculties of Arts, Business and Science, prerequisites have been waived for Study Abroad and Exchange students whose major or specialisation at their home university is in the same subject as the course. In this instance, you won’t be required to apply for a concession.

Courses with additional application requirements

Courses in Fine Arts, Architecture and Music require submission of supplementary information such as a portfolio or DVD audition.

For more information please contact the Faculty of Creative Arts and Industries or visit Creative Arts and Industries.

For language courses students must complete a Language Ability Declaration to ensure that they are placed at an appropriate level.
For more information please contact the Faculty of Arts or visit First time enrolment in language courses.
Faculty of Arts email:

Deadlines for changing your enrolment

There are strict deadlines for course enrolment changes. Courses that require an enrolment concession have an earlier deadline. For the current deadlines, please see Deadlines for changing your enrolment.
Ensure any changes to course enrolments, or withdrawals from courses, are approved by your home institution or provider.
Due to your student visa requirements, you must maintain a full-time course load (usually 4 courses).

Paying your tuition fees

Study Abroad

Study Abroad students must pay their tuition fees to the University of Auckland* before they can apply for a student visa.

For current fees, see Study Abroad programme fees.
For information on how to pay, see Paying your fees.


Exchange students studying at the University of Auckland pay tuition fees to their home institution, not the host university.

*Some Study Abroad students may pay their fees via their home institution or Study Abroad provider. Please check with your home institution or provider if you need clarification.

Getting your student visa

New Zealand Immigration advises international students to obtain their student visa before they arrive in New Zealand.

  • Study Abroad students must apply for a fee paying student visa once you receive your offer of place from the University. Your offer letter should indicate your programme as Certificate of Proficiency for Overseas (COPOS).
  • Exchange students, nominated for exchange through one of our approved exchange partners must apply for an exchange student visa, once you have received your offer of place from the University. Your offer letter should indicate your programme as Certificate of Proficiency for Exchange (COPEX).

*Please check your offer of admission to verify your programme of study at the University of Auckland.

For more information, see Applying for a visa.

Work limitations on a student visa

Under the current Immigration New Zealand regulations:

  • Study Abroad students are not eligible to work in New Zealand.
  • Exchange students studying for one semester only are not eligible to work in New Zealand.

Exchange students enrolled in a study programme of one academic year or more at a New Zealand tertiary institution may apply for a Variation of Conditions to their student visa. This allows you to work during the academic year, and holidays, for up to 20 hours in any given week. To apply for the Variation of Conditions, tick the option at section E2 of your Student Visa Application (INZ 1012).

Consult the Immigration New Zealand website or your local New Zealand Embassy before applying for a student visa.

Getting insurance

All international students are required to have appropriate health and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. The Studentsafe-University policy is the preferred insurance policy for international students. This will be applied to your account by default upon enrolment.

Note: The insurance fee is not covered by tuition fees and must be paid by both Study Abroad and Exchange students, unless you are granted a waiver for an alternative insurance policy.

For more information, see Health and travel insurance.

Student ID card

You must carry your Student ID card while on campus. You need this card to access some University services, and you may be asked to present it as proof that you are a student of the University.

You can collect your ID card from the Student Information Centre in the ClockTower, 22 Princes St (Monday to Friday 8am-6pm) where you will need to submit the documentation below:

  • A copy of the photo identity page of your passport.
  • A copy of your valid student visa to study at the University of Auckland.

For more information, see Student ID cards.

Arriving in Auckland

Arrival date

Students can arrive in New Zealand any time before orientation, within the limits of their visa. Before arriving, learn more about living and studying in Auckland.

Airport pickup

The University offers a free airport pickup for new international students. More information about this is in your offer of admission email. This service is only for your first arrival in Auckland.

Update your details

The University requires you to keep your contact details updated. After you arrive in Auckland you must provide a New Zealand contact number and address, and emergency/next of kin contact details. To do this online, visit How to update your personal details.