Enrolment concessions for Study Abroad and Exchange

Find out why you may need to request an enrolment concession, how to request one online, and how to check the status of your request.

Have your prior study recognised

Most University courses above Stage One have formal prerequisites. As a Study Abroad or Exchange student, you won’t have completed the specific University of Auckland prerequisites, but you may have completed equivalent courses at your home university.

To have your prior study recognised and to be allowed to enrol in a course with prerequisites, you will need to:

  • Request an enrolment concession online.
  • Provide detailed information about the course(s) you believe are equivalent to the relevant University of Auckland prerequisite(s).
  • Provide any necessary supporting documentation.

You can request a maximum of 5 enrolment concessions for one semester at one time.

How to request an enrolment concession

Watch a video tutorial about requesting an enrolment concession at How to apply for an enrolment concession.

You must indicate your reasons.

Use the text in the box below so that the faculties assessing your concession can recognise you are a Study Abroad or Exchange student.

I have been accepted to study at the University of Auckland through a Study Abroad/Exchange programme. I believe the following course(s) meet the prerequisite requirements for this course:

[list courses from home university]

I have submitted course descriptions for the above course(s) with my Application for Admission
OR you can see the course description(s) here: [paste link]

Supporting documents for enrolment concession requests

Please submit the following documents:

  • Updated transcript
  • Detailed descriptions of courses you have studied which you believe are equivalent to the relevant University of Auckland prerequisites
  • If your course description(s) are online you may instead paste the link(s) into the textbox

You can upload these documents to your Application for Admission.


  • Transcripts need to be verified* copies. If the transcript that you have submitted includes all the necessary courses, that should be sufficient.
  • You won’t be able to upload additional documents after you have accepted your offer of admission. If you need to submit additional documents at this stage, please email them to studyabroad@auckland.ac.nz.
  • If you make a mistake when submitting your enrolment concession, contact the Study Abroad and Exchange team.
  • Do not withdraw a request for a course in which you wish to enrol, as you will not be able to request a second concession for the same course.

*Verified means the document is signed, dated and stamped by a Justice of the Peace, solicitor, notary public, Exchange coordinator, Study Abroad provider or authorised agent. Contact the Study Abroad and Exchange team for more information.

After requesting an enrolment concession

The relevant faculty will assess your previous study. If approved, you will automatically be enrolled in the course. It’s important you only request concessions for courses you intend to enrol in.


  • If your request is denied, you can’t request an additional concession for the same course.
  • However, you may request enrolment concessions for alternative courses, as long as the number of current requests does not total more than 5.

You can check the status of your enrolment concession requests on Student Services Online:

  1. Sign into Student Services Online.
  2. From the home page menu, click ‘Concession Requests’.
  3. Select the term (semester) of the course your request applies to.

For more information, see Enrolment concession requests.