Foundation Certificate Education
Would you like to start study in education or social work but you don't meet the entry requirements or lack confidence?
This programme can help you gain the entry requirements you need for a range of education and social work undergraduate programmes.
- Gain the aptitude, ability and confidence for further tertiary study.
- Develop lifelong learning skills.
- Learn in small groups in a supportive setting.
- Get acquainted with the tertiary study environment.
- Go on to apply for undergraduate programmes.
What you'll learn
You’ll learn techniques such as critical thinking, essay writing skills and time management. You’ll also learn how to improve your oral and written communication skills.
This programme covers all essential academic skills for further study, plus computing skills and numeracy. In the second semester, you can choose from electives relevant to future study in teaching, social work or human services. You will be taught via small classes, group work and internally assessed assignments.
Full-time: 1 year
Points per certificate: 120
Taught at: Epsom Campus and Manukau Campus (Auckland) and Tai Tokerau Campus (Whangarei)
Continuing your undergraduate studies in education and social work
Successful completion of this programme will enable you to apply for admission to:
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching) (BEd(Tchg))
Specialisations: Primary, Huarahi Māori, Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Education Pasifika
- Bachelor of Physical Education (BPE)
- Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)
From 2017, the Bachelor of Physical Education will be replaced with the Bachelor of Sport, Health and Physical Education.
After undergraduate study you can to further your interests and enhance your career and salary prospects through postgraduate study.
You must either:
- be a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident of New Zealand and have completed NCEA
(Level 2) at a New Zealand secondary school or its equivalent, or
- be over 20 years of age.
All applicants are normally required to submit personal references and attend an interview.
Check out current fees.