Winter in Auckland
Here’s a taste of things you can try out in Auckland during your Northern Hemisphere Summer Research Scholarship.
Be a part of life on campus
As a summer research scholar you’ll be part of a community of more than 41,000 students. You’ll have the opportunity to meet and network with students and staff in your department, faculty and the wider university community.
Semester Two kicks off in mid-July, which means you can enjoy all that campus life has to offer, including Semester Two Orientation. You can also join one of the 200 student clubs and societies, with options ranging from cultural organisations and academic interest groups, to clubs for hiking, skiing, art, fitness and yoga.
Things to do
- For some snow sport action, head to the ski fields at Ruapehu for the weekend.
- Try surfing, paddleboarding, sailing or kayaking. On land, you could try bungee jumping, canyoning, rock climbing, laser tag or paintball.
- With markets, op-shops, shopping malls, shopping districts and designer stores, Auckland offers shopping from boutique to budget.
- See some of New Zealand’s wildlife up close at the Muriwai gannet colony, the island sanctuaries of Tiritiri Matangi and Rotoroa Islands or take a glass-bottom boat tour at Goat Island Marine Reserve.
- Visit the many galleries, museums and theatres on offer - take in a performance or concert.
- Enjoy dining at one of Auckland’s many cafés, restaurants or wineries.
- Take some time to explore the attractions and activities of the rest of New Zealand.