Zach Gedye shares 5 tips to help you nail that graduate role
Meet CPA Australia at the 2020 CDES Business & Law Expo!
What would be the best 5 tips you would give for a job interview for a graduate role?
- Have a look at the company website, staff profiles, recent news and get to know what they are about.
- Familiarize yourself with the role description that you are aiming for.
- Think of some questions that you would like to ask them about the role / company (shows that you are interested!)
- Dress to the level that they show on their website/promotional material i.e. if they are dressed in smart casual then a suit probably isn't required!
- BE YOURSELF - An interview is really just them trying to get to know you better so relax and show them how you are going to be a great person to work with!
What is a graduate role like at your organisation and how has this experience helped you?
I started in the graduate programme at Baker Tilly Staples Rodway in March 2018 and it has been a great place to start my accounting career. For most people your first 3 years consist of balancing work with study and so ensuring that you have a firm that supports this is very important. For the first couple of years you want to become a sponge and soak up as much information as possible because there is so much to learn both at work and with your studies.
Juggling these different commitments helps you to better prioritize tasks and understand how important it is to communicate with others so they can help you succeed.
What is your organisation and what diverse job roles are there in your business?
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway is a New Zealand wide firm that offers a wide variety of accounting services including Tax, Audit, Business Advisory and many others.
The main teams above offer graduate placements and structured programmes to assist you through your studies and first few years working in public accounting. Other services offered include Insolvency/Liquidations, Corporate Advisory, Human Resources and Data Modelling services.
Why did you choose to go to the CPA Australia professional accounting designation pathway for your career?
I chose to join CPA Australia because they offered a supported pathway into the programme using foundation papers. CPA Australia recognised the other commerce papers that I had taken, and the remaining gaps were covered by 3 foundation papers in between my regular semesters. Also meant that I haven’t fallen behind on any of the regular semesters yet.