Eligibility for 360 International

The criteria:

  • Enrolment at the University in an undergraduate or a taught postgraduate programme.
  • Demonstrated academic merit (a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.00*). 
  • Suitability of your proposed programme at the host university to your programme of study at the University.
  • Your suitability as a representative of the University.

*Note that if you’re applying for 360 International during your first year of university study, it’s likely that you’ll only have one semester worth of grades available. This means your term GPA for that semester would need to be 5.00 or more.

If you fail to maintain a 5.00 average, 360 International has the right to withdraw your application. They’ll check your most recent grades, before your departure, once they are made available. If you no longer meet the criteria you may be withdrawn from the programme.

When to go on exchange

  • It depends on the degree you’re enrolled in.
  • Most partner universities operate on a two-semester system with semester dates typically being September to December (Semester One) and January to May (Semester Two).
  • Some institutions require exchange students to go for two semesters, beginning in the September semester.

For more information, see our list of Partner universities.


BAS students may apply in Semester Two of second year and/or Semester One of third year. MArch(Prof) students may apply in Semester Two of first year.

It’s best to go in second year, but third year may be possible.

It’s best to go in second year, but third year may be possible.  

It’s best to go in Semester Two of Part II or any semester of Part III. For more information, see Engineering.

Global Studies

Students can go in their second or third year, but must seek advice from Global Studies about timing before starting their research

You can go in your final year when you take electives.

You can go only in the Semester Two of your third year.

It’s best to go in second year, but third year may be possible. 

If you’re doing a conjoint degree, you have more flexibility, as you may be able to select courses from either or both halves of your degree, and when you go is determined by how you schedule these.

Note that law conjoint students can only either do law papers only or the other part of the degree but a mix of both faculties is usually not allowed.

However, the timing depends on which courses you need for graduation.

Note: It’s possible that credit may be approved for courses at a stage 3 level or towards a master's or honours degree. Credit decisions will be based on content and level of the study undertaken, as well as the proportion of a full-time year or qualification it represents. Students must gain prior approval from the relevant faculty for the recognition of this study for credit. All credit approval decisions are at the faculty’s discretion.


Postgraduate students can go on exchange for one semester of a one-year degree for coursework only. You must discuss feasibility with your faculty. When applying for a postgraduate degree programme, you should apply to 360 International at the same time. The start-to-finish application time for exchange may take several months, depending on when and for which host university you apply. You’ll likely have to go on exchange immediately after your postgraduate programme begins. If you’re not accepted into the postgraduate programme, we simply withdraw you from the exchange.

You can go on exchange in the final semester of your degree, however:

  • You must have a minimum of 60 points left in your degree.
  • This will most likely delay your graduation, especially if you are studying overseas in the September to December semester. 360 International will not receive your transcript until February and your credit will not be entered in time for you to graduate in May.
  • If you fail any courses while you are overseas, you will almost certainly have to return to Auckland to finish your degree.
  • International students who go on an exchange in their final semester aren’t eligible for a job search permit.  

Foreign language proficiency

If you've chosen to study at a university that doesn’t teach in English, you’ll have to demonstrate you’re proficient in the language of instruction before you can be approved. Example countries include Brazil, Chile, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Caledonia, Spain, or South Korea.

What it means to be “proficient” in a foreign language

Essentially it means you have studied a language at university level for a minimum of 2 years before going on exchange.

This chart by the Council of Europe indicates different levels of language proficiency.

In order to have sufficient skills to study in a foreign language, you need to have achieved a minimum level of B2. Even with a B2 level, we strongly advise you take an intensive language course for 2-4 weeks before beginning your studies.

Intensive language courses

Most exchange partners in non-English speaking countries offer intensive language courses before their semester begins as part of the orientation programme.