Students can attend conferences and summer schools through the Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU), a consortium of 45 leading research universities.
APRU Multi-Hazards Summer School
This is a 3-day seminar and site visit to the area affected by the 2011 Great Eastern Japan Earthquake and Tsunami.
Tohoku University, Japan
24-27 July 2018
The main objectives are to:
- Understand the mechanism of the international DRR strategy through the Sendai Framework for DRR. This is a new international framework adopted at the UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (UNWCDRR).
- Learn from the experiences and recovery process of the earthquake and tsunami.
The University will cover the cost of economy airfares for up to three selected doctoral candidates between Auckland and the host institution. These students are responsible for all other costs associated with the programme, but may have recourse to their PReSS account to finance these costs.
For more information, contact your supervisor.
Eligibility for funding
The University will select up to three representatives. The following criteria will be taken into consideration:
- That the applicant is a graduate student currently enrolled at the University of Auckland in a doctoral degree;
- Demonstrated academic merit (a minimum GPA of 6.0 in the qualifying degree);
- i.Acceptance of their paper/abstract/participation by the conference organisers (in those cases where students have to apply for such acceptance first)
- ii. Level of engagement with the conference theme (in those cases where students do not first need to be accepted by the organisers)
- Motivation for applying to represent the University, the benefits for the University of supporting their participation, and the alignment of their application with the University’s strategic priorities
- Suitability as a representative of the University of Auckland and demonstrated ability to work effectively across disciplines
- Support of the student’s faculty.
Preference may be given to students who have not previously been funded by the University for similar opportunities.
Where three or more applicants are considered to equally meet the criteria, an appropriate spread of representatives across cross faculties may be considered at the committee’s discretion.
Applications not yet open for 2018.
Deadline for application