Option A: University of Auckland – Bachelor of Science (BSc) (Biomedical Science)
You must have completed at least one year of study (120 points) as part of the University's Bachelor of Science (BSc) (Biomedical Science), including the following six core courses:
- BIOSCI 101
- BIOSCI 106
- BIOSCI 107
- CHEM 110
- PHYSICS 160
- MEDSCI 142
The remaining 30 points may comprise of either:
- One 15 point General Education course listed in the Open or EMHSS Schedule (excluding BIOSCI 100G, MEDSCI 100G, MEDSCI 101G, POPLHLTH 103G, POPLHLTH 104G) and ;
- POPLHLTH 111 or one 15 point elective course from the Science schedule compatible with the Biomedical Science programme
Please note that while POPLHLTH 111 is not a required course for entry into BOptom, the course provides a strong foundation for a number of concepts addressed in the programme. For this reason, undergraduate applicants are strongly encouraged to take POPLHLTH 111.
Option B: University of Otago's Health Science First Year (HSFY)
You must have completed at least 126 points in the University of Otago’s HSFY, including the following seven core courses:
- BIOC 192
- CELS 191
- CHEM 191
- HUBS 191
- HUBS 192
- PHSI 191
- PUBH 192
Applicants must complete the prerequisite undergraduate courses (above) and achieve a minimum expected Grade Point Average (GPA) or Grade Point Equivalent (GPE) of 6.0 (B+ average) in order to be eligible for interview consideration.
All applicants deemed eligible are ranked for interview invitation based on the grades achieved in the core courses only.
- Interviews are conducted in late-November and early-December each year.
- If your final grades are not available, an interim grade (highest possible) will be temporarily assigned for the interview ranking only. Official final results will be used for the final selection.
- The minimum GPA or GPE required for an admission interview is determined once we have received and reviewed the entire applicant pool for the admission period and it can vary from year to year.