Group fitness classes
Under Level 2 our facility is now open which also mean a number of your favourite group fitness classes are now back in the studios.
The health and safety of our staff and members is our highest priority so we now have a number of new systems and processes in place.
All group fitness classes held in our studios will require a booking in advance to ensure we can manage class capacity restrictions. We are working hard to meet our health and safety requirements, so please bear with us as we adapt to the new conditions.
Our studios have been set up with designated spaces to adhere to the 2m physical distancing requirements.
The following capacity limits apply to each of our studios:
- Group-X Studio = 20
- Mind Body Studio = 20
- Spin Studio = 10
To book a class:
- To book you will need to download our UoA Fitness app which is this is available via the app stores: Android / Apple.
- Sign in using your UPI (university personal identity), if you don't have a UPI you will need to create one here.
- At the top of your dashboard please go to the 'available classes' tab.
- You will see all the available classes listed by date and day.
- Tap the class you want to book in for and then select 'Book Class'.
- This will bring up the relevant details for your class, then select 'Book Class' once more to confirm your booking.
- You will recieve an email notification confirming your booking which you can then add to your device calendar.
- When you arrive to the facility please check in with reception.
To cancel a booking:
- If you are unable to attend a class we ask that you cancel your booking atleast 15 minutes prior to the class starting to allow for someone else can take your spot.
- We will be monitoring these class bookings and if you fail to turn up or cancel your booking, penalties will apply.
What happens if a class is booked out or you can't get a booking?
- If a class is fully booked you can turn up 5 minutes before the class and if any spaces become available we will book you in manually at reception.
- Priority is given to those who have booked in advance.
- We will be monitoring the demand of our classes so if we find certain classes are consistently booked then we will review our timetable to ensure we can meet these demands by adding more classes.
Virtual Live Streamed Classes:
We can appreciate that not everyone will be wanting to come back to our studios so for the rest of Semester One we will continue to also offer our virtual classes for free online.
Here is what we are doing to keep you safe...
- Bookings required for all studio classes
- 2m distancing
- Reduced capacity in each studio
- Increased time between classes
- No towel = no workout
- Reduced and spaced equipment
- BYO mat
- More sanitising stations
- Increased cleaning of equipment
- Single station set ups for circuit classes
Learn more about our classes
Types of classes available
Our classes fall under three different areas of fitness, mind and body, strength, and cardio. These categories can help you select the balance and right classes for you and your journey. Aim to incorporate at least one of each style in your weekly routine. Check out the group fitness timetable for all the classes days and times.
Mind and Body
Stretch & Roll
Stretch and roll is a mobility based class to help you lengthen and strengthen the entire body through a range of techniques and combinations. A great way to relieve stress, tension and also rejuvenate through the use of bands and foam rollers.
An ancient art for the body, mind and spirit. The practice of yoga makes the body strong and flexible, it also improves the functioning of the respiratory, circulatory, digestive, and hormonal systems. Yoga brings about emotional stability and clarity of mind. Prepare to work hard and work up a sweat. We offer a variety of yoga practices such as vinyasa flow and ashtanga. Keep an eye out for the different styles on our timetable. Great for all participants of various levels, you get out what you put in.
Pilates will help you to improve your breathing, postural alignment and core control. You will gain body awareness, feel taller, relaxed and centered after sessions. Great for beginners.
A fusion of yoga and pilates. Combining elements of each practice for strength, stamina, stability and flexibility and emphasising the engagement of the deeper postural muscles for optimal core strength. Some familiarity with yoga and/or pilates will be helpful.
This class is a fun and energetic conditioning class with cardio peaks to get fitter faster and stronger. Build lean muscle, increase mobility and feel the burn with a variety of movements for a whole body workout. Suitable for all participants.
This easy-to-follow class uses free weights, barbells and dumbbells to develop muscular strength, endurance and tone muscles. This class is ideal for participants needing to add resistance training into their fitness regime. Great for new participants.
30 minutes of core strength and conditioning focus. Your core is your powerhouse and is made up of balanced strength and functionality from your stabilising muscles. Focus is on your abdominals, pelvic and postural muscles through a range of movements. Great for all levels with plenty of options available.
A fusion of fitness and ballet with exercises drawn from the ballet and fitness world but modified to suit all levels, no ballet background required. Music is a mix of modern pop and classical. A class to make you feel graceful, strong, balanced and stretched. Footwear; socks. Please bring water and a towel.
This indoor cycling class gives you an easy and effective workout. Spin is great for cardio-vascular fitness, leg strength and toning, all with no impact. Motivating music and instructors will help you improve your fitness while having fun!
Zumba® Fitness is a Latin inspired workout using international dance rhythms and dance styles such as Salsa, Merengue, Hip Hop and Reggaeton. It's a party class where you have fun, reduce body fat, improve your fitness and get a release of endorphins.
Find out more about Zumba® fitness.
Freestyle dance class which offers a range of styles and combination of cardio, conditioning, choreography, and flexibility, maybe even a push up or 2 if you’re lucky. This high energy class is a great mix of fun and fitness so you don’t even realise you are exercising.
High Intensity Interval Training. This is where we get fitter faster with heart pumping peaks of work and high repititions of strength or anaerobic movement. This is an advanced class with some level of fitness is required aswell as pump experience.
This is a circuit based class designed for an all over body workout. Combining elements of aerobic and strength training, this class will be a time effective way to improve your health, reduce body fat and develop muscular strength. It will vary from week to week and between instructor to ensure a true cross training experience. It may include bodyweight exercises, strength equipment, core development and various cardiovascular exercises.