Group fitness classes
Classes are available to those who have a rec centre membership with over 40 classes weekly.
Auckland is in Alert Level 1 which means many of our restrictions have been lifted and we can operate as normal. Please be mindful of maintaining good personal hygiene to keep yourself and our community safe.
Classes are still live streamed via zoom as well as in our studios ensuring plenty of options to keep you fit and motivated.
Group Fitness classes at Level 1
In studio classes at Level 1
While many of the previous restrictions have been lifted we still have a number of protocols in place to ensure the health and safety of our members and staff.
- To attend a group fitness class, you must book in using our 'UoA fitness' app.
Download for Andriod or Apple now. Classes are for Recreation Centre members only.
- No towel, no workout!
- Please wipe all gear after use to keep fellow users safe.
- If you feel unwell, please stay home and join us via zoom instead.
Your guide to using Zoom
We will continue to offer a number of our group fitness classes with our awesome instructors via livestream at home using Zoom.
These classes have been adapted to have minimal equipment and are free for anyone.
- You will need to download and sign up to ZOOM (free) on the device you will use for streaming our classes.
- We would recommend using large screen device so you have a bigger video screen.
- Click the Zoom link in our timetable page
- You must be an authenticated zoom user to join our classes, you will be prompted if not
- The live video window will open up, please ensure your audio is on, again you will be prompted.
- You will automatically be muted and we ask that you do not unmute yourself as this creates significant interference.
- If we can also ask that you all leave your videos on so our instructors can see you to encourage the connection felt in live classes.
- For the best audio, we would recommend connecting your device to a seperate speaker, ie bluetooth speaker or your tv audio system.
- Volume control is via your device volume system.
- Choose a spot with good internet connection and please note that there could be some disruptions based on the connection quality of differing suburbs/areas.
- For classes that have some equipment needs, we ask you to be creative;
- If you don't have dumbbells, grab some full cans from your pantry, fill up 2 equal sized water bottles
- A weight plate can be subsituted with a heavy book.
- For kettlebell alternatives, tape the lid securly of a paint bucket or even use the dishwasher powder container.
- Use a chair, stool, sturdy coffee table for a Total Body class etc.
- Our instructors will provide various exercise options for all levels, be mindful that we won't be able to provide the same individual technique feedback so please be safe and work to your own fitness levels.
- Keep a sweat towel and water bottle handy.
Learn more about our classes
Types of classes available
Our classes fall under three different areas of fitness, mind and body, strength, and cardio. These categories can help you select the balance and right classes for you and your journey. Aim to incorporate at least one of each style in your weekly routine. Check out the group fitness timetable for all the classes days and times.
Mind and Body
Stretch & Roll
Stretch and roll is a mobility based class to help you lengthen and strengthen the entire body through a range of techniques and combinations. A great way to relieve stress, tension and also rejuvenate through the use of bands and foam rollers.
An ancient art for the body, mind and spirit. The practice of yoga makes the body strong and flexible, it also improves the functioning of the respiratory, circulatory, digestive, and hormonal systems. Yoga brings about emotional stability and clarity of mind. Prepare to work hard and work up a sweat. We offer a variety of yoga practices such as vinyasa flow and ashtanga. Keep an eye out for the different styles on our timetable. Great for all participants of various levels, you get out what you put in.
Pilates will help you to improve your breathing, postural alignment and core control. You will gain body awareness, feel taller, relaxed and centered after sessions. Great for beginners.
A fusion of yoga and pilates. Combining elements of each practice for strength, stamina, stability and flexibility and emphasising the engagement of the deeper postural muscles for optimal core strength. Some familiarity with yoga and/or pilates will be helpful.
This class is a fun and energetic conditioning class with cardio peaks to get fitter faster and stronger. Build lean muscle, increase mobility and feel the burn with a variety of movements for a whole body workout. Suitable for all participants.
This easy-to-follow class uses free weights, barbells and dumbbells to develop muscular strength, endurance and tone muscles. This class is ideal for participants needing to add resistance training into their fitness regime. Great for new participants.
A fusion of fitness and ballet with exercises drawn from the ballet and fitness world but modified to suit all levels, no ballet background required. Music is a mix of modern pop and classical. A class to make you feel graceful, strong, balanced and stretched. Footwear; socks. Please bring water and a towel.
This indoor cycling class gives you an easy and effective workout. Spin is great for cardio-vascular fitness, leg strength and toning, all with no impact. Motivating music and instructors will help you improve your fitness while having fun!
Zumba® Fitness is a Latin inspired workout using international dance rhythms and dance styles such as Salsa, Merengue, Hip Hop and Reggaeton. It's a party class where you have fun, reduce body fat, improve your fitness and get a release of endorphins.
Find out more about Zumba® fitness.
Freestyle dance class which offers a range of styles and combination of cardio, conditioning, choreography, and flexibility, maybe even a push up or 2 if you’re lucky. This high energy class is a great mix of fun and fitness so you don’t even realise you are exercising.
High Intensity Interval Training. This is where we get fitter faster with heart pumping peaks of work and high repititions of strength or anaerobic movement. This is an advanced class with some level of fitness is required aswell as pump experience.
This is a circuit based class designed for an all over body workout. Combining elements of aerobic and strength training, this class will be a time effective way to improve your health, reduce body fat and develop muscular strength. It will vary from week to week and between instructor to ensure a true cross training experience. It may include bodyweight exercises, strength equipment, core development and various cardiovascular exercises.