The Great Waka Ama Race
The University of Auckland's student waka ama competition
The Great Waka Ama Race 2013 saw 15 University teams battle it out on the Waitemata harbour on Saturday 6 April. Faculties, halls and students clubs raced 8 km from Okahu Bay to Kohimarama and back in smooth and sunny conditions.
Amongst the top teams was the NZ Navy with a student and alumni team who were first across the line. The first student team was Grafton Hall, followed by Huia Hall in 2nd Place and Nga Tauira Maori in 3rd.
Over 150 supporters showed up to the Royal Akarana Yacht Club to watch the teams cross the finish line and celebrate at prize giving.
Check out the 2013 Waka Ama Photos
|Team name||T-Shirt Colour||Finish position||Finish time||Captain/Manager name|
|NZ Navy||Own Uniform||First across the line||47.53||Helen Abbey|
|Grafton Hall||Black||1||48.58||Teuru Passfiled|
|Huia Hall||Navy||2||49.25||Ben McPherson|
|University Hall||Orange||4||50.06||Kaye Connor|
|O’Rorke Hall||Light Blue||5||50.22||Shelby McRoberts|
|International House||White||7||51.57||Fergus Roache|
|Business||Lime Green||8||53.47||Toa Vulangi|
|Science||Blue||10||54.57||Fiona Panther / Miriam Hill|
|PSV||Ice Grey||11||56.16||Rob Tedesci|
|PGSA||Blue Dusk||12||57.52||Jeff Brill|
- This is a FREE event.
- Wakas and all equipment will be provided.
- The Great Waka Ama Race teams are made up of faculty teams, Halls of Residences, some student associations and a Navy team.
- The race course is Okahu Bay to Kohimarama return.
- All Waka will be double hulled and each vessel will have 12 people on board, 10 of which will be team members. The 11th and 12th people will be experienced Waka Ama helmspersons.
- Teams will partake in a training session to ensure some level of experience before the race.
- The winning team will receive the “Great Waka Ama Race Trophy” at a prize giving ceremony held at the Royal Akarana Yacht Club.
- 1st place will also receive $1500 given towards a team function or activity (e.g., racing an America’s Cup Boat but to be chosen by the winning team). Likewise 2nd place receives $1000 and 3rd place $500 towards a team function.
- Best mascot: $150.00 cash equivalent.