The University of Auckland is the highest ranked New Zealand university in the main world university rankings systems.
- 9th in the world in the Times Higher Education (THE) University Impact Rankings 2021 (THE Impact Rankings 2021)
- 85th= in the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings
- Top 100 for 30 subjects in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021
- 137th= Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings
- In the 201-300 band for the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)
- 142nd in the U.S. News Best Global Universities Rankings
- Placed 35th in the Reuters Top 75: Asia Pacific's Most Innovative Universities
- Placed 59th in the QS Employability Rankings
The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s largest research organisation with more than 13,000 staff and postgraduate students involved in fundamental and applied research. It generates around $230 million in annual research revenue. In the New Zealand government’s assessment of research output and quality, the Performance Based Research Fund (PBRF), we are the top performer in all three PBRF component areas: Research Quality Evaluation, Research Degree Completions and External Research Income.
In the most recent (2018) evaluation, the University of Auckland:
- Had 33% of the top rated researchers in the whole country
- Gained 31% of the funding based on research degree completions and 33% of the funding based on external research income
- Gained 30% of the funding overall, thereby confirming its position as the nation’s premier research institution
More on the University of Auckland's Research.
More on the University's PBRF results.
Staff and student statistics
University statistics on staff and student numbers, qualification completions, and international students for 2011-2017 are available below. Key facts and figures about staff and students are published in the University's Annual Report.
Key Statistics archive contains similar data for previous years.
More on Statistics and Planning at the University of Auckland.
University staff information – SMR reports
Strategic Management Reports (SMR) is the University's central strategic reporting system, providing curated strategic information about enrolments, admissions and many other areas of business. MicroStrategy is used to provide this information.
For information related to SMR, please see Strategic Management Reports (SMR) (University Staff only).