- First things first, you need to tailor your CV to each specific job you apply for. It’s obvious to employers when you haven’t done this!
- Make sure you clearly display your capabilities and support them with evidence and results using relevant keywords.
- Ensure your CV is no longer than 2-3 pages and has a tidy and clear layout. Use the spelling and grammar check!
- Cover letters also need to be carefully tailored to each position you apply for. Make sure you address the job advertisement’s description and requirements.
- Look at some online templates to make sure you’re on the right track.
Did you know that these days many companies use automated CV screening software? The software scans CVs and applications for keywords before any human gets a look in!
CDES can also help you optimise your CVs and cover letters. Come to a CV Basics workshop as your first port of call, then for more advanced information, the Writing Customised CV, Cover Letters and Applications workshop. We also have daily CV drop-ins where you can get a quick check-over.
Upcoming 'Top Tips' workshops:
Create a standout CV with MYOB - 1 May, 9.30-10.30am (Followed by an MYOB CV Check)
Auckland Council presents top tips for your CV! - 4 May, 10-10.30am (Followed by an Auckland Council CV Check)
Upcoming CV Basics workshops:
24 April, 12.30-1.30pm
Upcoming Writing Customised CV, Cover Letters and Applications workshops:
24 April, 2-3pm