Undergraduate study in Creative Practice: Composition

What can you study in Creative Practice: Composition?

You will progress through a series of core composition courses that focus on the development of technique and creativity in the areas of instrumental and vocal composition, as well as sound-based and electronic composition. Additionally, you will take courses in instrumentation and electronic music studies. You will be able to take a more specialised interest in one of these areas.

All School of Music students have access to auxiliary performance studies. You will also study other topics of interest to you, including music education, pedagogy, music technology, conducting, music studies, musicians’ health and various industry-related topics.

The core courses of the BMus degree include music theory and other music studies subjects.

You will also take two General Education courses offered by other faculties from across the University to acquire a broader range of skills and understanding, and be exposed to cross-disciplinary research.

General Education

Entry requirements for Creative Practice: Composition

You must meet the entry requirements for a Bachelor of Music, detailed on the BMus programme page.


Structuring your undergraduate programme


  • 4 x core courses
  • 3 x specialised theory and musicianship courses
  • 9 x creative practice courses
  • 6 x elective courses
  • 2 x General Education courses


2019 Bachelor of Music - Creative Practice: Composition degree requirements:

* 60 points from: MUS 104, 143, 243, 343

* 45 points from: MUS 203, 204, 205

* 135 points from: MUS 110, 111, 145, 210, 211, 214, 310, 311, 314 or 315

* 60 points from: MUS 103 - 188, 206 - 288, 306 - 389

* 30 points from: ANTHRO
103, 106, 202, 217, 234, 301, 327, 329, 357, MAORI 190, MUS 103-397, PACIFIC 110

* 30 points of General Education 

You can also find degree structure information in the University Calendar.


Discover the courses available within the Bachelor of Music, including those for Creative Practice: Composition.

Help and advice

For queries about how to apply, admission, and enrolment, please visit Student Hubs or contact us online.