Undergraduate study in Creative Practice: Composition
What can you study in Creative Practice: Composition?
You will progress through a series of core composition courses that focus on the development of technique and creativity in the areas of instrumental and vocal composition, as well as sound-based and electronic composition. Additionally, you will take courses in instrumentation and electronic music studies. You will be able to take a more specialised interest in one of these areas.
All School of Music students have access to auxiliary performance studies. You will also study other topics of interest to you, including music education, pedagogy, music technology, conducting, music studies, musicians’ health and various industry-related topics.
The core courses of the BMus degree include music theory and other music studies subjects.
You will also take two General Education courses offered by other faculties from across the University to acquire a broader range of skills and understanding, and be exposed to cross-disciplinary research.
Entry requirements for Creative Practice: Composition
You must meet the entry requirements for a Bachelor of Music, detailed on the BMus programme page.
You may choose to combine your BMus with another discipline. Find out more about our conjoint degree options:
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Global Studies/Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours)/Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Music
Structuring your undergraduate programme
- 4 x core courses
- 3 x specialised theory and musicianship courses
- 9 x creative practice courses
- 6 x elective courses
- 2 x General Education courses
2019 Bachelor of Music - Creative Practice: Composition degree requirements:
* 60 points from: MUS 104, 143, 243, 343
* 45 points from: MUS 203, 204, 205
* 135 points from: MUS 110, 111, 145, 210, 211, 214, 310, 311, 314 or 315
* 60 points from: MUS 103 - 188, 206 - 288, 306 - 389
* 30 points from: ANTHRO
103, 106, 202, 217, 234, 301, 327, 329, 357, MAORI 190, MUS 103-397, PACIFIC 110
* 30 points of General Education
Discover the courses available within the Bachelor of Music, including those for Creative Practice: Composition.
Help and advice
You are welcome to email or visit our Student Centre with any subject-related queries.
Creative Arts and Industries Student Centre
Level 2, Building 421
(Architecture and Planning Building)
26 Symonds St
Open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm