CHEM 100G Molecules that Changed the World
CHEM 100G | ARTS, BE, EDSW, LC | Summer School 2022 | City Campus | 15 points
CHEM 100/100G is a general education course offered during the summer time that examines how particular molecules or chemical discoveries have had a dramatic impact on society. This course has no formal prerequisite and restrictions, but the course assumes a science background at Year 11 or higher. Note that this course is also not intended as background for other chemistry courses.
The course involves 12~15 two hour lectures, covering four or five different topics. For 2022 Summer School, four topics will be offered including gold, penicillin, alcohol and Nylon. Each lecturer will provide you with notes covering their topic, including details of learning outcomes. Note that the course requires completion of assignments for all four topics.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Give examples of important chemicals that have affected modern society and are integral to modern civilisation and explain their importance.
- Explain the economical, social and historical context of selected molecules.
- Use appropriate scientific language to discuss chemical phenomena.
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of medicinal chemistry and natural product chemistry, including the role they play in drug discovery both in a contemporary and historical context.
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of materials chemistry and the social implications of developments in this area.