New Zealand's world-ranked University
The University of Auckland is the highest ranked New Zealand university in the main world university rankings.
9th= in Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings
- Overall ranking for impact (9th= in the world)
- SDG 16: Peace, justice and strong institutions (6th)
- SDG 3: Good health and wellbeing (8th)
- SDG 8: Decent work and economic growth (9th)
- SDG 5: Gender equality (13th=)
- SDG 12: Responsible consumption and production (13th=)
- SDG 2: Zero hunger (20th)
- SDG 17: Partnerships for the goals (20th=)
- SDG 6: Clean water and sanitation (25th=)
- SDG 7: Affordable and clean energy (29th)
- SDG 14: Life below water (32nd)
- SDG 11: Sustainable cities and communities (32nd=)
- SDG 10: Reduced inequalities (35th)
- SDG 1: No poverty (43rd)
- SDG 15: Life on land (51st)
- SDG 4: Quality education (71st=)
Top 100 in QS World University Rankings
The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s leading university in the QS World University Rankings 2022.
Placed 85th= in the world, the University is the only New Zealand university in the top 100.
The University ranks 61st in the world for Academic Reputation, the highest weighted metric in QS World University Rankings that collates the expert opinions of over 130,000 individuals in the higher education space regarding teaching and research quality in the world’s universities.
Top rankings in QS Subject Rankings 2021
In the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021, the University of Auckland was ranked in the top 100 for 30 of our subjects. In particular, 10 subjects were ranked in the top 50.
Our 10 subjects placed in the world’s top 50 are:
- Pharmacy & Pharmacology (#28 in the world)
- Education (#29 in the world)
- Nursing (#35 in the world)
- Archaeology (#37 in the world)
- English Language & Literature (#38 in the world)
- Sports-related Subjects (#43 in the world)
- Geography (#44 in the world)
- Performing Arts (#47 in the world)
- Anthropology (#48 in the world)
- Engineering – Civil & Structural (#49 in the world)
First in New Zealand for Graduate Employability
The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s leading university for Graduate Employability.
The University has been ranked #1 in New Zealand and 59th worldwide in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020.
QS 5+ Stars rating
In the QS Stars Rating, the University of Auckland is rated as a Five Stars Plus institution for excellence overall, as well as the following categories: Research, Employability, Teaching, Facilities, Internationalisation, Innovation and Inclusiveness.
Top 200 in Times Higher Education Rankings
The University of Auckland ranked 147th= in the 2021 Times Higher Education World Rankings making it the top-ranked university in New Zealand.
Most entrepreneurial university in the Asia-Pacific
The University of Auckland was named Entrepreneurial University of the Year at the 2019 Asia-Pacific Triple E Entrepreneurship and Engagement Excellence Awards in Higher Education.
Most innovative university in New Zealand
In the Reuters' ranking of Asia Pacific’s Most Innovative Universities – 2019, the University of Auckland has moved further up and once again been ranked as the most innovative university in New Zealand. The University placed #35 overall, with no other New Zealand university ranked in the top 75.
One of the top most international universities in the world
The University of Auckland is placed #14 in the Times Higher Education's 2021 list of the world's most international universities.
The list is compiled using the international student score, international staff score, international co-authorship score and international reputation metrics collected for the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021.