This policy applies to all newly appointed permanent academic staff members.
The purpose of the continuation review is to evaluate whether newly appointed permanent staff members have met the expected standards for the grade, and appropriate academic and career plans have been developed and acted upon.
1. Within six months of appointment, the staff member and his/her academic head are to discuss and agree on performance objectives for the continuation period.
2. Application for continuation must be made as soon as possible after 3 years’ service, and in all cases prior to 3.5 years’ service.
3. Where the staff member has been promoted to the next academic grade (e.g. from lecturer to senior lecturer) during the initial four-year period of employment the University does not require a continuation review.
4. Applications for continuation are to be peer reviewed by a Faculty Staffing Committee and a recommendation made to the dean.
5. The outcome of the continuation review is to be a decision that:
- continuation is approved
- continuation is declined
- continuation is deferred
The following definitions apply to this document:
Academic head covers heads of departments, schools and other teaching and research units at Level 3 in the University Organisation Structure.
Staff member means an individual who is employed on a full time or part time basis.
University means the University of Auckland and includes all subsidiaries.
Key relevant documents
Include the following:
- Academic Staff Collective Agreement or Individual Employment Agreement as applicable
- Academic Standards for Research Fellows, Senior Research Fellows, Lecturers, Senior Lecturers, Associate Professors and Professors
- Academic Standards for Professional Teaching Fellows and Senior Tutors
- Application for Continuation Form
- PTF-ST Application for Continuation Form
- Academic Career Portfolio
- PTF-ST Academic Career Portfolio
- Faculty Staffing Committee Policy
- Merit Relative to Opportunity Policy
- Flexible Work Policy
- Research and Study Leave Policy
- Continuation Procedures
- Continuation Guidelines
Document management and control
Owner: Director, Human Resources
Content manager: Associate Director, HR Advisory
Approved by: The Vice-Chancellor
Date approved: 19 April 2018
Review date: 19 April 2021